David de Gea reacts to Solskjaer's sacking with classy tribute
David de Gea has paid tribute to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer after he was sacked by the club.
Solskjaer’s story had to end after a fifth defeat in seven Premier League games.
De Gea spoke openly and honestly in criticism of the team after the defeat to Watford on Saturday.
But when it came to paying tribute to his now former boss, De Gea only had positive words.
A testing stretch of De Gea’s career
De Gea had a tough time under Solskjaer and not necessarily down to the manager.
He was the undisputed number one when Solskjaer arrived, but his own form began to slide.
Errors crept into his game and Solskjaer backed him, at the detriment of reliable back-up Sergio Romero.
Last season De Gea lost his place to Dean Henderson for a stretch, before regaining his place for the Europa League final.
The decision to start De Gea backfired, with the goalkeeper enduring a chastening penalty shootout in which he conceded 11 goals and missed his spot-kick.
This season he retained his place in the line-up and rediscovered his form, even saving three penalties.
But it was not enough, with poor defending and disjointed attacking play combining to leave United’s season crumbling as early as November.
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'
- An XI of players that has played with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi including 3 former Manchester United stars
- Manchester United loanee gets international call despite only 71 minutes action in four months
- Manchester United can take real positive signs from Ajax's two award winners
- Bayern Munich fear wanted star is heading to sign for Manchester United
- Photo: 17-year-old FA Youth Cup winner signs first Manchester United contract
- Paul Pogba would be Manchester United's big loser if transfer deal for Champions League winner is sealed