David Brooks has not done anything to suggest United were wrong to back off
David Brooks was linked with a move to Manchester United over the summer.
The Mail reported United were considering a move for the Bournemouth attacker as an alternative to Jadon Sancho.
Bournemouth wanted £40 million for Brooks – a figure which was far too excessive.
Brooks only played in nine games due to injury last season. So it was hard to get a fair assessment of his quality.
United backed off, rather than gamble £40 million on a player who would not get into the Red Devils starting XI.
So far it has looked to be the right decision on United’s part.
Capable of more
Brooks has not been able to do anything to catch United’s interest this season, even in the Championship.
The 23-year-old has made four appearances for Bournemouth so far, and has no goals and no assists.
A small injury suffered on international break for Wales interrupted his campaign, adding to concerns over his ability to stay fit after missing most of last season.
Brooks started for Bournemouth in their 1-0 defeat away at Sheffield Wednesday last night, and was substituted after 67 minutes.
Playing on the right of a front three, Brooks created two chances and had one shot on target, but could not make a telling impact.
This week he told the Bournemouth Echo that he is itching to get back to the top flight. He said: “I was disappointed I couldn’t really factor in last year, so I am desperate to get back in the Premier League and hopefully it’s with Bournemouth.”
He has not done anything so far to indicate that United were wrong to pass on him, or that the club should reconsider him.
Luckily for him his side sit fourth and should have a good chance of winning promotion even if it requires the play-offs.
Brooks is a talent. He scored seven league goals and provided five assists in the 2018/19 season in the Premier League.
Long-term, he is the type of versatile talent who could replace Jesse Lingard’s squad role in attack.
If he is going to attract United’s attention then he needs to start putting up numbers and influencing games in the Championship.
And that £40 million valuation needs to drop substantially.
- 'Monster' ex Manchester United centre-back used to demand to train 1 v 2
- Manchester United transfer target nicknamed 'the butcher of Amsterdam', he shut Haaland down
- Manchester United loanee backed to 'score lots of goals' under Erik ten Hag
- Manchester United should listen to Ten Hag's words and offer swap deal to get Antony: Opinion
- Manchester United star says he can't relax this summer due to Ten Hag arrival
- Glazers will sell Manchester United for right price, says Michael Knighton, who calls for talks with Ratcliffe over investment
- 'Unreal', 'Absolute player'… Teammates react as 21-year-old Manchester United talent's loan spell ends
- 5 Darwin Nunez alternatives for Manchester United, including award-winning 34-goal forward
- 7 Argentina players who have played for Manchester United including a now 38-year-old free agent