Dan James is celebrating his first ever major tournament victory after helping Wales to a win over Turkey.
In an entertaining yet error-prone game, Wales held on for a victory after Aaron Ramsey’s first half goal. They were not helped by Gareth Bale’s penalty miss. A second goal in injury time from Connor Roberts sealed a 2-0 victory.
Manchester United winger James would probably have been a better bet to take the spot-kick Bale missed. He scored his penalty convincingly in the Europa League final shootout.
Wales now have four points from their opening two matches and are well placed to reach the knockout rounds. This is despite a final game match against Italy upcoming.
Among fastest at Euro 2020
James was a constant threat throughout. The United winger created four chances, a number bettered only by Gareth Bale (5).
Turkey full-back Zeki Celik struggled to deal with James’ directness and the winger managed to complete three dribbles.
Right to the end James kept going, sprinting past players on a counter attack in the 87th minute. On that occasion his final ball let him down with his cross just too high.
James reached a top speed of 33.5 km/h, the second highest at Euro 2020 so far according to UEFA stats. Italy’s Leonardo Spinazzola is the quickest.
The two players will share the pitch next time with Wales taking on Italy.
It has been good to see that James has demonstrated his creative side and is not just a pacy player. He has created six chances now in two matches.
James’s performance drew a positive reaction from United supporters. Here is a look at some of the social media comments on the Welsh wonder…
Manchester United players at Euro 2020
- Marcus Rashford, Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw, Dean Henderson
- Scott McTominay
- Bruno Fernandes, Diogo Dalot
- Paul Pogba
- David de Gea
- Dan James, Dylan Levitt
- Victor Lindelof
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad