Manchester United needed a goal against Tottenham and up popped Fred to score for the first time in the Premier League since 2018.
Fred’s rare strike was perfectly timed, the equaliser in a 3-1 away victory for United.
It sparked a release of emotion for United’s players, who were frustrated with the wrongly disallowed goal in the first half.
In the celebration, Bruno Fernandes pushed Fred over, in an affectionate way, after the Brazilian rose to his feet after wheeling off towards the cameras.
Fernandes sent a message out last night underlining his love for his teammate.
Fred is a popular player with his United teammates and it is easy to see why, with his tireless energy usually making their lives easier.
He had more touches than any player on the pitch against Tottenham, and it was great to see him get his goal.
Fred was in position to score it after Edinson Cavani’s shot was saved, because he chose to carry on his run after making the pass to the striker.
If he had just stopped and decided his job was done after making the pass, then he would not have been in position to score the rebound.
It was a goal which needed a bit of luck, with the ball bouncing his way, but it was also down to desire too. Sometimes you make your own luck, and that’s what Fred did against Tottenham.
- Raphael Varane will fly to Manchester to seal United move on Monday
- Manchester United in August: Predicting the transfer deals to come
- United loanee Bernard makes first Hull appearance in 2-0 win over Red Devils U23 side
- Report: Fenerbahce want to sign United midfielder Pereira
- Hull boss McCann delighted to sign Manchester United’s Di’Shon Bernard on loan
- Henderson is excited by United signing Sancho
- United defender Eric Bailly endures mixed day as Ivory Coast exit Olympics
- Marcus Rashford posts long emotional message after decision to undergo surgery
- Di’Shon Bernard signs new long-term contract with Manchester United
- Manchester United set to resume training