Bruno Fernandes reacts as Mason Greenwood wins player of the month award
Manchester United’s positive start to the season left the club with numerous options for the player of the month award.
Bruno Fernandes bagged an opening day hat-trick, while Paul Pogba provided five assists in total, including four in one match.
Despite their credible shouts, the winner of United’s club award was Mason Greenwood.
Greenwood scored three goals in his opening three league matches, winning the award thanks to his consistency.
United’s website noted Greenwood won 66 per cent of the votes, Pogba 24 per cent and Fernandes 10 per cent.
Fernandes, who has won numerous player of the month awards since signing for United, congratulated Greenwood.
It took until April for Greenwood to score his third Premier League goal last season.
This came in the away win over Tottenham and Greenwood has been on a hot streak since.
He has nine goals in his last 11 Premier League matches plus one assist.
Greenwood is also nominated for the Premier League player of the month award.
Whether he is starting from the right wing or in the centre, Greenwood is making himself indispensable for United.
This comes amid higher competition than ever before, thanks to Cristiano Ronaldo’s arrival, while Jadon Sancho is only going to kick on further as he settles in.
Greenwood is showing what the standard is, and has laid down the gauntlet to his new teammates.
Having been able to rest over the international break, Greenwood is expected to start again against Newcastle this coming weekend alongside Ronaldo. Everything he has shown in his career so far suggests he won’t be intimated by the challenge.
Mason Greenwood’s career so far
- 17 first team goals in his debut season
Greenwood tied a record set by George Best and Wayne Rooney on their first campaigns for the club.
- Five Europa League goals in his first season
Greenwood’s goals in the Europa League saw him become the club’s youngest ever scorer in European competition.
- 10 Premier League goals
Greenwood became the first teenager since 1997/98 to score 10 Premier League goals or more in a season.
- Absolutely prolific at youth level
Greenwood scored 31 goals in 30 under-18 games, plus five in five UEFA Youth League matches. He scored three in three FA Youth Cup games, and four in seven under-23 matches, before being fast-tracked to the first team.
- Already a Champions League scorer
Greenwood scored his first Champions League goal for Manchester United against RB Leipzig. It came with his first ever shot in the competition.
- The 20 goal mark
Greenwood scored his 20th United goal in December 2020. He became the youngest United player to do so since Norman Whiteside in 1987.
- Double figures again
Greenwood reached double figures for the second successive season in the win over Roma. He became the second United player to score in five separate competitions in the 2020/21 season, and has now netted in a European semi-final.
- The 30 goal barrier
Greenwood scored his 30th Manchester United goal in August 2021. At just 19, he became one of just three teenagers to do so for the club, along with Whiteside and George Best.
- Only 3 players who started Manchester United's last win at Etihad likely to start under Ten Hag
- Manchester United now have an easy decision to make over £19m star
- Manchester United star doubles down on reason for his superb turnaround in form
- Real Madrid star says Manchester United summer signing “has a lot of quality”
- Rio Ferdinand claims in-form Manchester United man better suited to international football than Premier League
- £46m Manchester United star says he is feeling confident ahead of the World Cup
- 21 direct goal involvements in last 14 games : 23-year-old Manchester United target shines on international stage
- International boss explains why he trialled Manchester United ace in new position and gives verdict on display
- Ralf Rangnick relegated as Austria slump to third defeat in a row
- 'No chance': Manchester United star gutted after 4-1 loss and desperate to avoid relegation
- Barcelona sporting director says Manchester United have made a very good decision
- 'World class': Teammate raves over Manchester United star after 'frighteningly good' international performance
- Manchester United receive a favour as international boss learns same lesson as Ten Hag
- 'Whatever we need': £113m star praises Manchester United ace
- 8 Chances Created: Manchester United star produces masterclass in upset international win