A dream few weeks for Anthony Elanga has continued for Sweden’s under-21 side.
Elanga earned his first ever Sweden under-21 call-up after breaking into Manchester United’s first team at the end of the season.
The 19-year-old made his debut one to remember by scoring an impressive goal.
Elanga’s goal gave Sweden’s under-21s a 2-0 lead against Finland which they were able to see out for full-time.
This continued an excellent last few weeks of the season for Elanga, whose 2021 began poorly after he sustained a collarbone injury on his first game in January, which kept him out for a several weeks.
Upon his return to fitness Elanga was promoted to train with United’s first team and made a positive impression.
He made his United debut at Old Trafford against Leicester City and then started on the final day of the season against Wolves, where he scored his first ever United goal, heading in a Dan James cross.
Sweden have another under-21 game against Luxembourg next week where Elanga might fancy his chances of scoring another. Then his impressive 2020/21 campaign will be over.
Elanga scored 11 under-23 goals, a figure which would have been a lot higher if not for injury.
It is good to see him raising his profile at international under-21 level and it might not be long before Sweden take a look at him at senior level too.
United will likely receive loan enquiries for Elanga next season from clubs in England and abroad.
Before considering these, United have to consider whether Elanga can be of use for first team level. This might be influenced by whether Marcus Rashford requires an operation or not in the summer.
Elanga is doing everything he can to put himself into the first team mix, and a strong pre-season could seal his place in Solskjaer’s plans.
- Manchester United being linked with Sulemana again, Ajax in pole position
- Anthony Martial pictured working out ahead of pre-season
- Manchester United’s 20 most expensive transfer deals of all time
- Mansfield boss delighted to sign Manchester United’s Nathan Bishop on loan
- French media deliver their verdicts on United star Paul Pogba’s display last night
- Fred impresses for Brazil again in dramatic win
- Five German legends comments on Manchester United bound Jadon Sancho
- Diogo Dalot posts message after making Portugal debut