Anthony Elanga sends emotional message after making his Manchester United debut
Anthony Elanga was granted his dream of making his Manchester United debut at Old Trafford.
Elanga was selected to start the game, and played 64 minutes.
The 18-year-old looked lively, making runs in behind the defence and putting pressure on the full-backs when not in possession.
The youngster sent a message on social media, eloquently putting into words what it meant to him to make his first team debut.
Elanga was lively, while also understandably looking a little nervous. He made some good movements off the ball, and his teammates were not quick enough to pick him out.
This is the type of thing he and the coaching staff can analyse, and will improve as he develops more of an understanding with his teammates.
To make his debut is reward for an outstanding season for United’s under-23 side, and validation of the way he has impressed in first team training since getting the call-up.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer praised his performance. The United boss told the club website: “Anthony [Elanga] was full of enthusiasm and positivity, with runs in behind and good defensive work.”
Nemanja Matic praised Elanga, and Amad, telling the club website: “The young players who played tonight did an amazing job and showed that the club can count on them in the future.
“They showed that they will be very important for our club in the future. They played with personality, they showed the character, so I was very happy to see them on the pitch. The way they played was great, against a very good side in Leicester, it’s not easy to play.”
These comments from Solskjaer and a seasoned pro like Matic will encourage Elanga, and he could get more opportunities before the season is over.
Next week’s game against a relegated Fulham side will provide another chance for rotation, as will the final day against a Wolves side who have nothing to play for.
- Ten Hag reportedly gives key role to Manchester United star with no appearances since December 2021
- Surprise Van Gaal signing and 3 other former Manchester United players who played under Omonia boss Lennon
- Poland youth international trains with Manchester United first team ahead of Europa League tie
- Ten Hag's Manchester United have to bounce back like Sir Alex Ferguson's did after City trouncing
- 18-time international hoping to follow in the footsteps of former Manchester United teammate
- Omonia boss Neil Lennon gives his verdict on Cristiano Ronaldo's lack of minutes at Manchester United
- 'Nothing more dangerous': Neil Lennon gives his verdict on Manchester United's hammering against Manchester City
- Manchester United announce 22-man travelling squad for Omonia game, new signing fit again
- Ten Hag press conference: Four Manchester United players ruled out of trip to Cyprus
- Manchester United whizkid needs to stop trying to score 'perfect goal', says manager