Anthony Elanga was granted his dream of making his Manchester United debut at Old Trafford.
Elanga was selected to start the game, and played 64 minutes.
The 18-year-old looked lively, making runs in behind the defence and putting pressure on the full-backs when not in possession.
The youngster sent a message on social media, eloquently putting into words what it meant to him to make his first team debut.
Elanga was lively, while also understandably looking a little nervous. He made some good movements off the ball, and his teammates were not quick enough to pick him out.
This is the type of thing he and the coaching staff can analyse, and will improve as he develops more of an understanding with his teammates.
To make his debut is reward for an outstanding season for United’s under-23 side, and validation of the way he has impressed in first team training since getting the call-up.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer praised his performance. The United boss told the club website: “Anthony [Elanga] was full of enthusiasm and positivity, with runs in behind and good defensive work.”
Nemanja Matic praised Elanga, and Amad, telling the club website: “The young players who played tonight did an amazing job and showed that the club can count on them in the future.
“They showed that they will be very important for our club in the future. They played with personality, they showed the character, so I was very happy to see them on the pitch. The way they played was great, against a very good side in Leicester, it’s not easy to play.”
These comments from Solskjaer and a seasoned pro like Matic will encourage Elanga, and he could get more opportunities before the season is over.
Next week’s game against a relegated Fulham side will provide another chance for rotation, as will the final day against a Wolves side who have nothing to play for.
- Bastian Schweinsteiger reacts to Manchester United’s defeat to Liverpool
- ‘Paul Scholes was right’… United fans react to Liverpool defeat
- Solskjaer reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Harry Maguire reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Manchester United’s three worst players against Liverpool
- Sir Alex Ferguson fumes as Manchester United hammered by Liverpool
- Six things we learned as Manchester United lose 5-0 to Liverpool
- Rio Ferdinand reacts to Manchester United’s meltdown v Liverpool
- Solskjaer issues fitness update on Varane and Martial
- Confirmed Manchester United line-up v Liverpool