After a season on loan at Lazio where he spent most of his time on the bench, Andreas Pereira needs to play.
Pereira clinched a move to his homeland last week, leaving Manchester United to sign with Flamengo on a season long loan.
Flamengo currently sit fifth in the Campeonato Brasileiro Série A after 17 games, and Pereira may face a challenge to break into the team.
Pereira was an unused substitute last night as Flamengo beat Gremio 4-0.
Former Brazil midfielder Ze Elias now works as a pundit in his homeland and he believes Manchester United midfielder Pereira may struggle to establish himself in the team.
Speaking to O Dia, Ze Elias said: “I don’t see him as a starter.”
He added that he expects Pereira to be a back-up for Diego Ribas, the former Wolfsburg and Porto midfielder who is still a regular at Flamengo at the age of 36.
“He’s going to fight for position. I see him as an ideal replacement for Diego. Diego for me today is a fundamental guy for this Flamengo team. He’s the player who makes this team play.
“I think that in the midfield, Andreas will play in Diego’s place there. I don’t see him starting, but he can do a midfield there with Thiago Maia when Renato (the coach) needs it.”
Pereira should get games Diego is 36, and the onus is on him to force his way into the side, or find another role where they can play alongside each other.
A challenge on his hands
Flamengo face Santos in the league on Saturday and Pereira will hope to make his debut.
In some ways it is good Flamengo have a good, impressive side, and Pereira has a chance to play in a winning team.
If he can break into the side then better for him, but it won’t be a simple task.
Pereira has returned to Brazil with hopes of breaking into his nation’s World Cup squad for 2022. First up, he has a fight on his hands at his new club, with Flamengo winning four of their last five games and drawing the other.
- Tielemans dominated United and showed Solskjaer what he needs and lacks
- Bruno Fernandes made most key passes in the Premier League at weekend
- Manchester United’s players ‘lack grit’ says BBC pundit
- Kobbie Mainoo scores incredible solo goal for England under-17s
- Josip Ilicic hits form at worst possible time for Manchester United
- Ethan Laird impresses with another dazzling loan performance
- Paul Pogba fighting for his place despite his call to improve
- Why November 7 is date for Manchester United to make Ole Gunnar Solskjaer decision
- David de Gea and Bruno Fernandes send messages to Manchester United fans ahead of crucial week
- Marcus Rashford return could help or hinder unlocking Jadon Sancho
- Elanga and Mengi continue impressive streaks for United’s Under-23 side
- Is the writing on the wall for Eric Bailly at Manchester United?
- Manchester United urgently need a style of play under Solskjaer – Opinion
- Pogba gives honest but worrying scathing assessment after Leicester loss
- Why can’t Manchester United and David de Gea both play well in tandem?