Amad has changed his Manchester United squad number from 19 to 16, the club have confirmed.
Amad was assigned 19 earlier this year when his move to United became official.
To change so quickly is a little odd, and there is almost certainly a reason behind it.
The number 19 is being freed up so new signing Raphael Varane can take the squad number, it would seem.
Varane’s deal has still not been announced, despite United reaching an agreement with Real Madrid on July 27. He won’t be in the squad to face Leeds this weekend.
United did not mention Phil Jones in the list of squad number changes, so he will stay at four.
As seen in pre-season, Anthony Elanga has switched from 56 to 36, while Shola Shoretire has changed from 74 to 47.
Amad’s new number 16 shirt was previously assigned to Marcos Rojo, who left the club in January.
Will Amad end up leaving this summer on loan?
Despite the squad number change, Amad could head out on loan.
United are set to field numerous offers from abroad and the Premier League.
United’s willingness to loan Amad, while changing his number up, is a further indication the number 19 is set to be used for somebody else, probably Varane.
Otherwise with Amad set to depart on loan, United would have just left the winger at 19.
- Three steps Solskjaer can take to avoid bowing out like Jose Mourinho
- Manchester United’s players pictured back in training
- Raphael Varane’s possible return would be Manchester United’s best case scenario
- A look at Antonio Conte’s record vs Manchester United
- Fred and McTominay stepped up for Solskjaer last season and he needs them to improve
- Josh Cavallo: Raphael Varane leads praise after Australian footballer comes out as gay
- Facundo Pellistri looking ahead to Barcelona after second successive Alaves win
- Pochettino reportedly remains United’s top choice to replace Solskjaer
- Paul Pogba hits back at claims he snubbed Solskjaer
- United loanee Ethan Galbraith scores stunning first goal for Doncaster
- Manchester United talent Alvaro Fernandez makes Spain U19 debut
- Erik Ten Hag already has £11m offer from another Premier League club
- Manchester United have two academy players who would be perfect for Conte’s wing-back system
- Manchester United director of football reportedly not involved in crunch Solskjaer talks
- Paul Pogba contract claims add to Manchester United chaos