Cristiano Ronaldo’s first training session was a huge moment for Manchester United supporters.
Ronaldo is a player many dared dream would return, but few thought it would ever happen.
Now he is here, and he is real, and what an incredible experience it was for the young academy players who joined the session.
Hannibal, Joe Hugill, and Alvaro Fernandez were all pictured in the session at Carrington, with United including youngsters from the under-23s, with several top stars away on international duty.
Fernandez sent a message out on social media, describing training alongside Ronaldo as a ‘special moment’.
Fernandez has been the standout player for United’s under-23s this season with two goals and one assist from left-back.
United signed Fernandez last summer from Real Madrid. He will have grown up idolising Ronaldo.
The responses to Fernandez’s message said it all. Spanish United teammates Marc Jurado and Alejandro Garnacho showed their admiration, among several others, academy teammates past and present.
Getting a chance to train alongside Ronaldo is a dream for most players, let alone a budding 18-year-old like Fernandez.
Fernandez will be back with United’s under-23s this weekend, and he will want to be back with Ronaldo and co as quickly as possible.
This will have given him a taste and he will want more. United’s decision to include him with the squad this week could pay off long term.
- Manchester United injuries and suspensions: All six first team players set to miss Leeds game
- Qatari investors planning ‘massive offer’ for Manchester United
- Fred says he enjoys scoring against Leeds and wants to keep doing it
- Bruno Fernandes will be looking to improve upon his formidable record against managerless Leeds United
- Raphael Varane gives his verdict on where Marcus Rashford ranks among the best players he’s played with
- Manchester United loanee Will Fish performances rated by Hibernian captain
- A look at how many times Mason Greenwood has been capped for England
- Erik ten Hag says Manchester United star is now injured and will not face Leeds tomorrow
- Manchester United ‘bid £100 million’ for Declan Rice last summer, claims transfer expert
- Dishon Bernard named in League One Team of the Week after impressive debut
- Former Manchester United goalkeeper Sergio Romero finally steps up for Boca Juniors
- Rio Ferdinand gives verdict when asked if Lisandro Martinez is best centre-back in Premier League
- Diogo Dalot could get the best out of Wout Weghorst
- Bebe scores last minute winner on debut for new club
- Frenkie de Jong’s fiancee gives blunt verdict on when midfielder is finally coming to Manchester