AC Milan are set to make a new offer to Manchester United to try and sign Diogo Dalot.
Fabrizio Romano reports Milan want to sign Dalot on another season long loan.
United reportedly want a sizeable loan fee for Dalot of around £3 million plus.
This might end up being the best offer United get for Dalot from AC Milan, who seem reluctant to offer a fee for a more permanent deal.
The ‘option to buy’ offers United no certainty, which is likely why the club is pushing for a small fee up front.
Dalot spend last season on loan at AC Milan and ended the season strongly, earning a call-up into the Portugal squad for Euro 2020 after a late pull-out.
Milan may be more tempted to pay up next summer and take up the option to buy if Dalot has a successful season.
Next step is Trippier in?
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has never really seemed too convinced by Dalot and it is no surprise to learn United are open to offers.
Dalot’s exit would free up squad space for an arrival at right-back. Kieran Trippier is United’s target here.
United are currently focusing on a move for Raphael Varane, while tying up the paperwork on the Jadon Sancho deal. Trippier will become a priority after that, along with the midfield.
Trippier is currently on a break after Euro 2020, in which he provided the assist for Luke Shaw’s goal in the final.
Aaron Wan-Bissaka is currently United’s first choice and Trippier can provide better competition at right-back than Dalot is currently capable of.
Milan still need to put together an acceptable offer to United, but it feels like this is a case of United holding the door open for Dalot to leave, so that Trippier can join.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad