Manchester United’s Mason Greenwood has pulled out of the England squad for Euro 2020.
Greenwood was included in the provisional 33-man party Gareth Southgate selected last Tuesday.
It was his first involvement with the senior side since his maiden call-up ended early in September.
But ahead of the squad being cut to 26 today, Greenwood has pulled out with an ‘underlying injury’.
That means Greenwood will have to wait to take part in his first ever senior international tournament.
Another United player who may also not be involved is Jesse Lingard.
The Athletic report that he is set to miss out when Southgate removes seven players from his plans today.
Unlike the Greenwood news, that is unconfirmed as of yet, however.
Greenwood was unlikely to start at the Euros, given his lack of involvement in previous camps.
But he could have been an absolutely perfect impact sub, able to play in a number of positions and offer a goal threat.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer may be glad that instead of being in reserve, Greenwood is getting the summer off to work on his recovery from injury.
Here’s how the news went down with some fans on social media:
- Manchester United being linked with Sulemana again, Ajax in pole position
- Anthony Martial pictured working out ahead of pre-season
- Manchester United’s 20 most expensive transfer deals of all time
- Mansfield boss delighted to sign Manchester United’s Nathan Bishop on loan
- French media deliver their verdicts on United star Paul Pogba’s display last night
- Fred impresses for Brazil again in dramatic win
- Five German legends comments on Manchester United bound Jadon Sancho
- Diogo Dalot posts message after making Portugal debut
- Victor Lindelof makes timely contribution to help Sweden finish top
- Manchester United fans react to Paul Pogba’s performance