Manchester United chose not to start Paul Pogba against Norwich. Fortunately we at least brought him along for the ride and named him on the bench.
United needed Pogba in the end, along with a host of big name players who were initially rested for the fixture.
A sloppy and at times casual performance allowed Norwich to hold us to a 1-1 draw, and it took until Harry Maguire’s late winner in extra time to get the goal we craved.
Pogba played a key part in the goal, lofting a delightful ball into the penalty area which created the opening, which eventually saw Anthony Martial square the ball for Maguire to prod home from close range.
Norwich had been hanging on for the lottery of penalties, and with spot-kick specialist Tim Krul in goal and saving everything thrown at him in extra-time, they had a fair chance.
Quality shone through
United’s attackers looked disjointed and tired at times. Ultimately the quality shone through.
Pogba was outstanding. In the 50 minutes he played he managed to create four goalscoring chances.
He also had two shots on target, completed 93 per cent of his passes, and won two tackles.
If he had started the match then United would have won this without many problems.
We have the game against Brighton to prepare for now, and fitness permitting, Pogba has to be a must start.
As good as Fred and Scott McTominay have been, Pogba is showing right now that he is in a different league in terms of ability.
Importantly, he has the focus and determination right now to really prove a point. His season could yet end up with silverware.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to his performance…
- Nicolas Tagliafico the latest left-back linked to United
- Luton defender shares what it’s like trying to stop Marcus Rashford
- Manchester United fans react to Eric Bailly’s performance
- Solskjaer picks out three Manchester United players for praise
- Jesse Lingard impresses amid uncertain United future
- Manchester United fans react to Donny van de Beek’s performance
- Manchester United’s players react to win over Luton
- Dean Henderson sends emotional message to Manchester United fans
- Five things we learned as Manchester United beat Luton Town