Brandon Williams has been unlucky to spend much of the time since the restart on the sidelines.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is a big fan of Luke Shaw, and has selected the more experienced star in all four on Manchester United’s games.
Williams came on at right-back against Norwich, before last night against Brighton, finally getting a chance to show what he can do at left-back.
The youngster nearly made an immediate impact, running into the box to connect with a cross, only to see his goalbound header deflected over.
While some of his fellow substitutes struggled to get into the groove, Williams looked sharp and particularly keen to make an impression.
He created one goalscoring chance and had one attempt on goal, during an impressive 27 minute cameo.
Luke Shaw has been an ever present in the starting line up during United’s now 15-match unbeaten run.
But with Bournemouth at home next up, United may be able to make one or two changes. United can do this with Williams for Shaw and still retain the same quality. Some would view that this may even make the team stronger.
This was the 19-year-old’s 27th performance of the season in an impressive breakthrough campaign.
Last night was another brief reminder that he is one of United’s brightest talents.
Here is a look at how United supporters reacted to Williams’ performance…
- Solskjaer says Teden Mengi will be around the first team next season too
- Solskjaer is getting more out of Matic at Manchester United than Mourinho managed
- Josh King will be desperate to impress against Manchester United after January bid
- Extending Paul Pogba’s contract would be as big as any United transfer
- Mason Greenwood’s versatility means he could fill in for three players in dream Manchester United scenario
- It appears Manchester United are giving up on Jesse Lingard
- Three takeaways from United missing out on Jude Bellingham
- Why United’s Gomes response should be to target top quality young attacker
- Manchester United’s run-in is not as easy as it looks