Brandon Williams has been unlucky to spend much of the time since the restart on the sidelines.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is a big fan of Luke Shaw, and has selected the more experienced star in all four on Manchester United’s games.
Williams came on at right-back against Norwich, before last night against Brighton, finally getting a chance to show what he can do at left-back.
The youngster nearly made an immediate impact, running into the box to connect with a cross, only to see his goalbound header deflected over.
While some of his fellow substitutes struggled to get into the groove, Williams looked sharp and particularly keen to make an impression.
He created one goalscoring chance and had one attempt on goal, during an impressive 27 minute cameo.
Luke Shaw has been an ever present in the starting line up during United’s now 15-match unbeaten run.
But with Bournemouth at home next up, United may be able to make one or two changes. United can do this with Williams for Shaw and still retain the same quality. Some would view that this may even make the team stronger.
This was the 19-year-old’s 27th performance of the season in an impressive breakthrough campaign.
Last night was another brief reminder that he is one of United’s brightest talents.
Here is a look at how United supporters reacted to Williams’ performance…
- How Cameron Borthwick-Jackson is faring since leaving Manchester United permanently
- Manchester United loanee James Garner has big point to prove this weekend
- Amad Diallo is the risk Solskjaer should be taking at Manchester United
- Diogo Dalot has perfect opportunity to impress against Manchester United
- Ed Woodward needs to back Solskjaer this summer to complete Manchester United’s squad
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Manchester City
- Manchester United’s plan to rely on Mason Greenwood may need to be re-assessed
- United loanee Jacob Carney wins player of the month award
- Lindelof says it is a joy to have Luke Shaw in the team