James Garner has not taken long to make an impression on loan at Nottingham Forest.
The United loanee was man of the match on his debut against Coventry in midweek, despite going a month without starting a game beforehand.
This weekend he was a starter as Forest won again, in a 3-0 win over Wycombe.
Garner played all 90 minutes and stood out in a controlled midfield performance.
Garner’s previous stint with Watford prepared him for the physical challenge of the Championship, and now he is thriving.
He won four aerial duels in Forest’s win, more than any player in the Forest team.
Garner created two chances, and while his shooting range wasn’t quite there with all three shots off target, he was not afraid to have a go at goal.
It was Garner’s passing range which stood out. He completed four long passes, using his vision to release Forest’s wide players in dangerous areas.
Garner’s three tackles was the highest of any Forest player, and he is quite clearly settling in already and taking on a key role for Chris Hughton’s side which belies his age of just 19.
This is all very promising, although it must be noted that Garner’s two performances so far have come against teams who are struggling in the table. There will be tougher challenges. At this stage though, it all looks very promising.
Forest fans are already enamoured with the impact Garner has made, with some already wishing they could sign him permanently.
Here is a look at some of the reaction to Garner’s display on social media…
- Cavani not ready for West Ham clash but will hopefully return next week
- Recent United target Eduardo Camavinga makes flying start at Madrid
- West Ham’s Croatia trip gives Manchester United a rare advantage
- Patrice Evra reacts to reports Cristiano Ronaldo moved home due to ‘noisy sheep’
- How will James Garner be affected by Nottingham Forest sacking Hughton?
- Raphael Varane’s freakishly unlucky Champions League opening game record
- Manchester United’s ‘What If…?’ moment: Jude Bellingham would have completed Red Devils team
- German press react to Jadon Sancho’s slow start at Manchester United
- Unai Emery gives verdict on Manchester United’s defeat to Young Boys
- Young Boys star says Solskjaer tactics made their task tougher
- Chong, Garner, Laird: Mixed night for Manchester United loan trio