Cristiano Ronaldo will line up for Manchester United this weekend against a familiar opponent.
Ronaldo has a very successful previous record against Aston Villa from his previous spell at the club.
Undefeated vs Villa
In 14 career matches against Aston Villa, Cristiano Ronaldo has won 13 and drawn the other.
The one draw came in 2008, a 0-0 stalemate at Villa Park in which he played 82 minutes.
Ronaldo’s last game against Villa in April 2009 was highly memorable. He scored two goals in a 3-2 victory with Federico Macheda bagging the winner.
One of Ronaldo’s goals in that game came direct from a free-kick and his second was an important 80th minute equaliser before Macheda’s 90th minute game-sealer, which steered United to a title win.
On the 14 games Ronaldo has played against Villa, 12 came in the Premier League and two in the FA Cup.
He has nine goals against Villa in total, eight in the league and one in the cup.
Ronaldo also has four career assists to his name against Villa, three of which came in one game, a 4-0 win against them in 2008, in which he also scored once.
This weekend he will be looking to maintain his unbeaten record and rack up another win, extending his goals against them to double figures.
Ronaldo’s first game and goal against Villa
Ronaldo’s first ever game against Aston Villa came back in 2003 and it was a 4-0 win.
Ruud van Nistelrooy scored twice before Diego Forlan grabbed a brace himself.
United’s midfield that day was made up of Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs, Quinton Fortune and Kleberson, with Ronaldo supporting Van Nistelrooy in attack.
The first of a total nine goals for Ronaldo against Villa came in May 2004 on the last day of the season.
Ronaldo scored the opener in a 2-0 victory at Villa Park before Van Nistelrooy added a second from a John O’Shea assist.
Of all the English sides Ronaldo has faced, Villa are one of the opponents he enjoyed most success against with nine goals.
Only against Tottenham did he score more (10 goals). Spare a thought for La Liga side Sevilla, against who he has netted 27 times.
- David de Gea and Bruno Fernandes send messages to Manchester United fans ahead of crucial week
- Marcus Rashford return could help or hinder unlocking Jadon Sancho
- Elanga and Mengi continue impressive streaks for United’s Under-23 side
- Is the writing on the wall for Eric Bailly at Manchester United?
- Manchester United urgently need a style of play under Solskjaer – Opinion
- Pogba gives honest but worrying scathing assessment after Leicester loss
- Why can’t Manchester United and David de Gea both play well in tandem?
- Is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer really a good man manager?
- Five Manchester United myths that got busted against Leicester
- How Cristiano Ronaldo reacted to Manchester United defeat