Manchester United youngster Joe Hugill made his first league start for the under-23 side on Friday afternoon.
It got off to a perfect start as he netted after just a minute against Blackburn Rovers.
Blackburn fought back to take the lead, before Hugill scored with five minutes to go, connecting with a cross from the excellent Anthony Elanga, who also assisted the first goal.
The numbers for Hugill make impressive reading. In four games this season he has three goals at all levels. Just three of those matches were starts.
Hugill it must be remembered is only 16-years-old. He turns 17 later this months.
He netted twice for the under-18s on his debut and has since been promoted, with the under-23s lacking a striker.
Hugill fits the bill, and having already played for Sunderland’s under-23s and scored last season, he knows what to expect at this level.
The teenager is looking like a strong addition for United’s academy, and his goals helped the under-23s secure a point.
Another 16-year-old addition, Isak Hansen-Aaroen made his first under-23 start too, but it was Hugill who stole the show.
The teenager may be a little way off the first team, but never know how quickly he may rise up the ranks.
Already he is catching the eye. His start has been perfect so far.
Here is a look at how United fans reacted to Hugill’s performance…
- Lisandro Martinez and Marcus Rashford send messages to Luke Shaw
- Antony sends happy birthday message to Cristiano Ronaldo
- Paul Ince sends classy message to Christian Eriksen while reiterating Andy Carroll stance
- David de Gea backs Marcel Sabitzer to step up following Christian Eriksen and Casemiro setbacks
- Portsmouth boss delivers verdict on how Di’Shon Bernard fared on his loan debut
- David de Gea issues update on contract talks with Manchester United
- Jeffrey Schlupp issues two-word verdict on Marcus Rashford’s current form
- Patrick Vieira handed Crystal Palace star specific task of nullifying Aaron Wan-Bissaka
- Manchester United academy talent Logan Pye ruled out for the rest of the season