Charlie McNeill can’t stop scoring. The Manchester United wonderkid was on target in the FA Youth Cup last night in a 2-0 win over Salford.
It was a typical striker’s performance from the youngster. McNeill was quiet for the first half, lurking dangerously around the penalty box, threatening without making the breakthrough.
In the second half he burst into life after gaining possession inside the box, twisting and turning before shooting high past the goalkeeper from a wide angle.
It was a superb individual goal which was vaguely reminiscent of a Ruud van Nistelrooy goal against Basel almost 20 years ago, before McNeill was born.
McNeill scoring was not a surprise. It was expected.
The 17-year-old was fresh off a winning goal over Liverpool at the weekend.
Providing Liverpool win their match against Sutton, they will be United’s opponents in the FA Youth Cup fourth round later this month.
McNeill now has scored 15 goals in 14 games this season for the under-18s.
United were the better team against Salford, controlling the game on a poor pitch, with a number of players missing.
The team could have fielded Shola Shoretire, Hannibal Mejbri and Joe Hugill – but all three are considered ‘too good’ for this level by United.
McNeill isn’t far off being with them too. He made his under-23s debut at the end of last month.
He was helped by a lively midfield displays from Isak Hansen Aaroen, and wingers Alejandro Garnacho and Noam Emeran.
The opening goal was scored by Daniel Gore, the youngest starter in United’s team at just 16. He previously had just two under-18s appearances.
15-year-old Kobbie Mainoo came off the bench in the second half, highlighting United’s desire to push young players at every level.
McNeill is exceeding expectations since his summer move from Manchester City and is showing a natural desire to score goals.
He told MUTV after the game how he ‘loves the club’ and is enjoying every kick in a United shirt.
If he carries on like this he will be a fan favourite at first team level one day.
Here is a look at how supporters reacted to his latest under-18s performance…
His got a bright future ahead. Absolute goal machine— ¹² (@durki00) March 10, 2021
Someone who scores the goals he does should be fast tracked into the first team.— JC 🏴☠️ (@JCWaterford) March 10, 2021
Better finisher than Rashford tbh— dolo (@alwaysaviibe_) March 10, 2021
Boy wonder— Sir LanceLot of Camelot 🔰 (@lord_omo) March 10, 2021
- Photos: Manchester United release first images of Rangnick in training at Carrington
- Carrick's comments on Fernandes show why Manchester United need a stern manager like Rangnick
- Manchester United loanee preparing to take on 'quality' former Premier League player
- Raphael Varane shares his reaction to Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's Manchester United exit interview
- Record breaking wonderkid suddenly needs fresh Manchester United start under Ralf Rangnick
- Some Manchester United fans react to Ralf Rangnick's first press conference
- Manchester United could sign a complete midfielder who is still getting better
- Jadon Sancho develops partnership with United player nobody expected
- Report provides expected Manchester United return date for Raphael Varane
- Manchester United release official pictures of Rangnick posing with the shirt at Old Trafford
- 45 goals, 34 assists: Manchester United star adds to sensational record
- Edwin van der Sar reacts to 'absolutely incredible' Manchester United star and Carrick exit