Hannibal Mejbri’s performance for Manchester United’s under-23 side certainly caught the eye.
Even a late second booking which saw him sent off in the final stages could not take the shine off a wondrous midfield showing.
Hannibal had lined up in central midfield in the EFL Trophy clash against Lincoln City.
United lost the game 3-2, but Hannibal more than delivered on his part, putting in a performance which showed he is ready for first team football.
The number for Hannibal’s performance are highly impressive, with statistics for his performance recorded via SofaScore.
- Hannibal made 116 touches, more than any player on the pitch
- He won 16 duels in total during the game
- Hannibal managed to win four free-kicks
- He completed 87 per cent of his passes
- These included eight of 12 long passes
- Hannibal made five tackles and three interceptions
- Hannibal made seven successful dribbles from eight attempts
Hannibal also provided the assist for Manchester United’s second goal with a pinpoint cross for defender Bjorn Hardley to net his first goal for the club in 31 matches.
This was a performance of a confident young player, only 18, bossing a midfield against senior players.
Hannibal is already a Tunisia international and made his first team debut for United at the end of last season.
This was the first competitive match he has played in the 2021/22 season.
United fans watching Hannibal’s performance lauded him as an ‘absolute genius’ and were left under no illusions that this is a player with the potential to go all the way to the very top.
With United needing fresh central midfield options, Hannibal’s performance could not have been better timed.
While he has played some of his time with the under-23s wide left in a similar role to Paul Pogba’s current position, he can also play the central midfield role highly effectively, as he showed last night.
Providing he stays and is not sent out on loan, United fans could be seeing a lot more of the teenager in 2021/22.
- Little margin for error as Solskjaer cannot afford Champions League early KO
- Solskjaer urged to make ‘cut throat’ team selections for Manchester United
- Manchester United now have fixture boost for next month’s Tottenham clash
- Teenager Harrison Parker appears to confirm United academy switch on Instagram
- Three Cristiano Ronaldo cup lessons for Manchester United
- Mason Greenwood’s electric impact shows what Anthony Martial is missing
- Alex Telles sends disappointed message to Manchester United fans
- United may have good squad depth but last night’s XI lacked leaders
- Patrice Evra thanks Manchester United as he completes his coaching badges
- Aston Villa fans laud Tuanzebe’s EFL Cup performance
- Solskjaer had ideal chance to unleash Hannibal Mejbri but opted for Mata instead
- Alex Telles shows attacking qualities but also his defensive deficiencies
- Solskjaer hails United fans after EFL Cup exit
- When will Donny van de Beek’s next opportunity come after cup KO?
- Anthony Martial wastes his Manchester United chance