Ethan Ennis scores first Manchester United academy goal
Manchester United youngster Ethan Ennis is celebrating scoring his first goal for the club.
Ennis signed for United in the summer, snubbing interest from Chelsea, and an attempt from Liverpool for him to continue with them.
After scoring a FA Youth Cup hat-trick for Liverpool last season, Ennis was in high demand.
It has not been the easiest start at United for Ennis since joining.
He came into a new look under-18s team which were still finding their feet at the level, and then he suffered an early injury which kept him out for a month after making his debut.
Now fit again, Ennis is beginning to show what he can do.
Off the mark
At the weekend he scored the equalising goal as United’s under-18s came from behind to draw 2-2 with Derby County.
Ennis benefitted from a through ball from the impressive Alejandro Garnacho, and took his chance well.
Ennis, 16, was making just his second under-18s league start and third league appearance in total.
He lined up on the right wing, with Garnacho on the left, and Manni Norkett as a central striker.
Ennis was heavily involved and was always an outlet, eager to whip crosses in and take on his opponent.
Not everything he tried came off, but you would expect this at under-18s level.
The goal will do him a lot of good, and his United adventure is just getting started.
Next weekend United face bottom of the table Nottingham Forest and have Garnacho suspended due to a late second booking against Derby.
Ennis will need to step up, and this recent display suggests United should be confident he can help lead the side to victory.
- Five players Manchester United had very lucky escapes on including '£50m-valued midfielder'
- Long-serving Manchester United academy coach set to leave as behind the scenes changes continue
- 'We are going to win trophies'… Manchester United star optimistic about silverware next season
- 5 free agents Manchester United could sign this summer including Rangnick's international DM and '£85m' Italy striker
- 'He delivers'… Steve McClaren is a huge fan of 25-year-old Manchester United midfielder
- 'Every detail'… Erik ten Hag says he has a 'good feeling' about Manchester United
- 17-year-old wonderkid 'expected' to go on Manchester United pre-season tour
- Ten Hag's first Ajax XI star gives 7-word brutal truth on Dutchman's Manchester United chances
- Cristiano Ronaldo sets new Manchester United club record and sends message to fans