Connor Stanley clinched a loan exit from Manchester United over the weekend.
The 19-year-old winger has signed for Atlanta United 2, the reserve side of MLS side Atalanta United.
Atlanta United 2 play in the USL Championship, the second tier of American ‘soccer’.
Stanley was one of four players the club signed over the weekend as they prepare for the season kick off on April 23.
After the move was confirmed, Stanley posted on Instagram to say he was ‘so happy’ to have the opportunity.
What was Stanley’s situation at United?
Connor Stanley’s contract at United is set to expire at the end of June. The MEN reported in February the club were weighing up whether to offer him a new deal.
It is most likely Stanley will be released when his contract expires and become free to find a new club as a free agent.
This loan move effectively gives him a head start, enabling him to play competitive football and put himself in the shop window, while also potentially landing a permanent contract at Atlanta United.
A year ago Stanley trained with United’s first team ahead of the club’s Europa League tie with Club Brugge. He was signed from Birmingham City’s academy in 2018, but has been a bit-part player for the under-23s this season.
He has played only three under-23 matches, and just one in 2021.
This is a good chance for the young winger to kickstart his career away from United. Not everybody can make it at Old Trafford, and Stanley has a chance now to look to the future.
- Three reasons Super League plans could KO Manchester United’s Sancho hopes
- Eric Bailly says he has returned to training
- Wayne Rooney praises Teden Mengi as loan spell is cut short
- Eric Cantona reacts to Manchester United Super League plans
- Manchester United fans respond to Paul Pogba’s message
- Manchester United’s all-time record goalscorers
- Two Manchester United academy players criticise Super League plans
- David Beckham speaks out against Super League plans
- Gary Neville says the Glazers must be booted out of football
- What Manchester United will look like in 2025 playing in the Super League