Anthony Elanga had to be helped off the pitch in pain during Manchester United’s under-23 defeat to Leicester.
Elanga appeared to injure his collarbone after falling awkwardly in the 50th minute.
The injury was badly timed with Elanga scoring twice in the first half and hoping to net his first hat-trick.
At present it is unclear how long Elanga will be out for. The young winger is taking an optimistic approach, vowing to be back soon.
Elanga’s message received replies from teammates, with D’Mani Mellor writing, ‘minor setback major comeback’, and Martin Svidersky replying ‘soon back’.
Important young player
This season Elanga is the top scorer for United’s under-23 side with eight goals, inclusive of EFL Trophy games. Getting him back would be a big help to the team.
He also has three assists, making it 11 goal contributions in 16 appearances.
The worst case scenario is that Elanga faces several weeks out or even the rest of the season.
The 18-year-old is a prospect who deserves to be regarded with the same excitement as surrounds Facundo Pellistri and Amad Diallo.
This injury is a small hurdle for him, and one he will overcome. United have not called up a player from the academy to the first team this season and Elanga was as well placed as any. His time will come, even if he has to wait until next season.
- United loanee Tahith Chong provides assist in Club Brugge win
- Harry Maguire raves about Luke Shaw’s performance
- Manchester United fans react to Anthony Martial’s performance
- Pep Guardiola praises United’s display
- Solskjaer says Shaw and Martial nearly did not start against City
- United fans react to Aaron Wan-Bissaka’s performance
- Dean Henderson draws praise from Graeme Souness
- Eric Bailly posts amusing message to Harry Maguire after United win
- Edwin van der Sar and Rio Ferdinand react to Manchester United’s win
- Donny van de Beek reacts to Manchester United’s win