Manchester United’s second highest assister for the under-23 side is now a player who began his campaign with the under-18s.
Alvaro Fernandez is now on four assists, behind only Hannibal Mejbri (6).
Fernandez has remarkably provided all four in his last four games. He is showing real consistency to his game.
What makes his contribution so impressive is that he is doing so from the left-back position.
United snapped Fernandez up from Real Madrid in the summer and he made an instant impression.
He scored on his under-18s debut and was quickly promoted to the under-23s, despite being just 17.
Fernandez has now made 11 appearances at under-23 level and has entrenched himself as a regular starter. That in itself is commendable. Being able to influence games so regularly in attack takes him to a new level.
All four of Fernandez’s assists have come for Joe Hugill. United’s under-23s top scorer is definitely benefitting from having the young Spaniard in the team, and it’s a connection which could pay off at first team level one day.
United will be delighted with how Fernandez’s debut season has gone, he has surpassed all early expectations.
A challenge is upcoming when United play Fernandez’s former side Real Madrid in the UEFA Youth League in March in a knockout tie. He will be determined to show he made the right decision to move on.
Longer term, Fernandez might start to push for a first team call-up this time next year by his current trajectory.
A more conservative projection would set the 2022/23 season as a target, by which he will be 19.
Alex Telles will then be 30, and Fernandez may end up forcing him out.
Left-back is a position where United now have some depth and Fernandez is a key part. With England youth international Logan Pye signed from Sunderland in the summer and now a regular for the under-18s, there will be competition behind him to ensure his standards stay strong.
Alvaro Fernandez Carreras: What you need to know
- Real Madrid wanted him to stay
Alvaro chose to join Manchester United ahead of signing a new contract at Real Madrid.
- United beat competition for his signature
Manchester City were also interested in signing Alvaro, 17.
- Attacking left-back
Alvaro says his role-model is Real Madrid hero Marcelo. He will begin his career at Old Trafford in United’s under-18 team.
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s record like against Chelsea?
- What channel is the Chelsea v Man Utd Premier League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Charlie McNeill continues hot streak despite U23s defeat
- Ralf Rangnick is the perfect man to hand over to an elite permanent United manager
- Who is Ronald Araujo and why is he being linked to Manchester United?
- Cavani issues fitness update ahead of United’s clash with Chelsea
- Josh King admits blocked Manchester United move was worst moment of his career
- Carrick says van de Beek is capable of playing as a false nine
- Rangnick tipped to have same impact at United like Tuchel did at Chelsea
- Manchester United fans react to Dusan Vlahovic reports