Manchester United appear poised to miss out on Eduardo Camavinga.
The Rennes youngster is on the verge of a move to Real Madrid, according to reports in France.
Get Football News France report via Canal+ that Camavinga is set to undergo a medical with Real Madrid ahead of a move.
Camavinga has only one year left on his current deal and the fee is in the region of £25 million.
Manchester United were strongly linked with Camavinga at the start of July, via The Guardian.
United were unable to make progress with a deal, amid concerns Camavinga’s preference was either Real Madrid or Paris Saint-Germain.
Manchester United badly need a midfielder, but Camavinga’s slow start to the season in France suggested he may not have been capable of changing the Red Devil’s midfield fortunes immediately.
After starting the first game for Rennes, Camavinga has been benched for the last four matches.
Manager Bruno Genesio told GFFN: “I think a lot of things are happening in his head. He’s not able to express his full potential, which he hasn’t lost. Sometimes things happen in your head which means it doesn’t work as well in the legs.
So what will United do?
Well, spending on the wrong player is arguably worse than doing nothing, although time will tell if Camavinga turns out to be a player United regret missing out on.
The fact he is set to sign for such a high profile club like Real Madrid suggests this could be a move United regret not pushing harder for.
There is just 24 hours before the deadline for United to strike a deal for an alternative.
The most likely option is United do nothing, and put the money from selling Dan James into offsetting Cristiano Ronaldo’s wages.
But this will leave the summer window feeling incomplete. United’s midfield has been shown up in the last two away games, and the fear is that even Ronaldo may not be able to cover up this weakness when it really matters.
Saul Niguez and Ruben Neves are the most likely alternatives, while Yves Bissouma is another player United fans would love to see join.
- Hargreaves praises 'really sharp' Manchester United youngster who could start for Rangnick this weekend
- 4 Manchester United players who will regret disappointing performances v Young Boys
- 'Love him', 'Class'… Some Manchester United fans react to teenager's performance v Young Boys
- Manchester United youngster matches Carlos Tevez achievement and best is yet to come
- Zidane Iqbal and Charlie Savage send messages after making Manchester United debut
- 'I'm truly sorry'… Amad sends apology to Manchester United supporters
- 'Absolutely incredible'… Some Manchester United fans react to star's 'world class' performance against Young Boys
- Manchester United's 3 best players against Young Boys
- Robbie Savage's reaction as son Charlie comes on to make Manchester United debut
- 5 things learned as Manchester United draw 1-1 against Young Boys
- Ralf Rangnick sends message to Manchester United's youngsters ahead of Young Boys clash
- Confirmed Manchester United XI v Young Boys: Rangnick makes 11 changes
- Zidane Iqbal: The Manchester United teenager with an eye for a spectacular goal
- Has Cristiano Ronaldo ever scored in all six Champions League group games before?
- Charlie Savage: The Manchester United talent who wants to become his own man