Manchester United appear close to signing Barnsley youngster Tom Wooster.
Wooster posted a photo at Carrington wearing United training gear over the weekend.
Wooster is a goalkeeper who has represented England at under-15 level.
He was named as Barnsley’s academy player of the year in 2019/20, the club announced in July.
Barnsley academy boss Bobby Hassell told the club’s website at the time he had high hopes for Wooster.
He said: “Tom’s distribution from the goalkeeper position is as good as anything in the country for his age and, at 6’2, we have high hopes that he will go on in the coming years to come Barnsley’s number one goalkeeper.”
Wooster has previously trained with Barnsley’s under-23 side.
It appears from his picture as though he is now set to sign with United, which would be a blow for the Tykes.
Wooster will join United’s talented group of youngsters and most likely go into the under-16s rather than the under-18s.
In the summer United signed Radek Vitek to add to the under-18s group, and he has rotated with Johan Guadagno and Dermot Mee this season, with Ondrej Mastny stepping up the the under-23s.
The first team battle is another conversation, but that is a long way off.
It’s clear United are keen on signing the best young talent around and hoping the competition sees the best ones win out.
Wooster should be commended for his willingness to embrace the challenge.
- Manchester United’s decision not to sign Jack Grealish is proving costly
- It should come as no surprise Lazio aren’t keen on £23.3m Pereira option
- Marcos Rojo is still out injured after leaving United
- Solskjaer explains why he didn’t bring Amad Diallo on against Palace
- Gary Neville criticises Marcus Rashford’s performance
- Manchester United fans react to Dean Henderson’s performance
- Luke Shaw and Eric Bailly send messages to Manchester United fans
- United fans puzzled by Cavani for James substitution
- Anthony Martial faces fitness battle for Manchester derby
- Five things we learned as Manchester United draw with Crystal Palace