Teden Mengi has been a regular in Manchester United’s first team training sessions over the past month.
The 18-year-old was promoted after an injury to Phil Jones, and he has also been elevated up the pecking order by Axel Tuanzebe’s latest setback.
While Mengi is yet to make a matchday squad, it is only a matter of time before he gets his debut.
In fact United can go as far as penciling in his debut date.
Europa League dead rubber
United are still scheduled to play out the second leg of the team’s Europa League tie with LASK.
This will take place on August 5 or 6, and it it possible this could still be held at Old Trafford, before the quarters, semis, and final are all held at a tournament in Frankfurt, Germany, days later. If not, it will also be held in Frankfurt.
United are 5-0 up from the first leg, and the team we put out will be heavily rotated.
This is the chance to give Mengi his debut, providing a defensive injury crisis does not mean it needs to happen sooner.
Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been impressed with the teenager.
He told the club website last week that Mengi has been ‘holding his own’ in first team training sessions.
Solskjaer also added that Mengi would be ‘around the first team’ next season.
So what better possible time to test him than in a competitive fixture, which has pretty much nothing on the line due to United’s heavy advantage.
There could be a few more players making rare appearances, with youngsters Tahith Chong and James Garner likely eyeing the match-up, as well as Timothy Fosu-Mensah.
The game may seem pointless to some, but for United this could be an invaluable learning experience for players and coaches.
There are plenty of competitive fixtures to look forward to beforehand, but this will be a nice chance to see some of the squad’s fringe players in a match where the pressure is off.
- United fans hoping Diallo can do a Martial this weekend
- Scholes says United should sign Fofana – but deal would be very unlikely
- Anthony Martial needs to rediscover debut season form in key Manchester United clashes
- Marcus Rashford is outperforming Sadio Mane this season
- Predicted Manchester United XI v Liverpool
- Jurgen Klopp hails Manchester United pair Marcus Rashford and Bruno Fernandes
- Solskjaer claims there’s even more to come from Manchester United
- Solskjaer says Diallo could be in United squad this weekend
- Bruno Fernandes wins record-breaking fourth player of the month award