According to Portuguese newspaper Record, Manchester United are interested in signing Marcus Edwards.
Edwards plays for Vitoria de Guimares after joining the club last summer. The report says he could cost around £20 million.
So who is Marcus Edwards and what could he bring to United?
1) Edwards joined Vitoria last summer after quitting Tottenham Hotspur. He was fed up with a lack of first team chances.
2) He has played regularly in Potugal, scoring five goals and providing four assists. Edwards also has two Europa League goals, including one against Arsenal.
3) Edwards is the most prolific dribbler in the Portuguese league, averaging 3.2 per game.
4) He made one competitive appearance for Tottenham’s first team in 2016, but did not get another chance over the following three years. His last season was spent on loan at Excelsior in Holland.
5) Edwards has regularly represented England at youth level and has played alongside Angel Gomes and Jadon Sancho.
What has been said about him
Speaking after a pre-season friendly, his former Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino told Sky Sports: “The qualities – it’s only looks, his body and the way that he plays – remember a little bit from the beginning of Messi.”
This comparison may not have helped Edwards, as it built extra expectation around him, when just 17 at the time. Now 21, he is making his own way.
Would he be a good signing?
Edwards is an exciting talent who can go all the way to the top. The big question is whether he is ready for a move to a club like Manchester United.
The demands and competition for places were tough on Edwards at Spurs, and while stronger, older and more confident, objectively, he may benefit from an extra year in Portugal.
From United’s perspective, it could be good business, to sign the talented winger now, before he gets even more expensive by excelling elsewhere.
As an alternative to Sancho, Edwards may not be able to deliver, but as an additional piece of the jigsaw, he could have a lot to offer.
- Manni Norkett: The next top Manchester United academy striker you need to know
- Getting Anthony Martial back to his best could transform Manchester United
- No Rashford and possibly no Sancho: Who starts for Manchester United on the wing against Leeds?
- Ethan Laird is wanted by Swansea and a loan move looks essential
- Looking back at United reportedly agreeing terms with Sancho a year ago
- Aurelien Tchouameni shows why Manchester United should be interested
- Kieran Trippier returns to training for Atletico Madrid
- Manchester United fans react to Lukaku to Chelsea reports
- Fred spotted back in Manchester United training