According to Portuguese newspaper Record, Manchester United are interested in signing Marcus Edwards.
Edwards plays for Vitoria de Guimares after joining the club last summer. The report says he could cost around £20 million.
So who is Marcus Edwards and what could he bring to United?
1) Edwards joined Vitoria last summer after quitting Tottenham Hotspur. He was fed up with a lack of first team chances.
2) He has played regularly in Potugal, scoring five goals and providing four assists. Edwards also has two Europa League goals, including one against Arsenal.
3) Edwards is the most prolific dribbler in the Portuguese league, averaging 3.2 per game.
4) He made one competitive appearance for Tottenham’s first team in 2016, but did not get another chance over the following three years. His last season was spent on loan at Excelsior in Holland.
5) Edwards has regularly represented England at youth level and has played alongside Angel Gomes and Jadon Sancho.
What has been said about him
Speaking after a pre-season friendly, his former Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino told Sky Sports: “The qualities – it’s only looks, his body and the way that he plays – remember a little bit from the beginning of Messi.”
This comparison may not have helped Edwards, as it built extra expectation around him, when just 17 at the time. Now 21, he is making his own way.
Would he be a good signing?
Edwards is an exciting talent who can go all the way to the top. The big question is whether he is ready for a move to a club like Manchester United.
The demands and competition for places were tough on Edwards at Spurs, and while stronger, older and more confident, objectively, he may benefit from an extra year in Portugal.
From United’s perspective, it could be good business, to sign the talented winger now, before he gets even more expensive by excelling elsewhere.
As an alternative to Sancho, Edwards may not be able to deliver, but as an additional piece of the jigsaw, he could have a lot to offer.
- Solskjaer gives Lindelof fitness update
- A look back at Solskjaer’s comments on Greenwood one year ago
- Manchester United should extend Mason Greenwood’s contract even further
- Bruno Fernandes is enjoying helping Anthony Martial shine
- Be open minded over a potential United move for Nathan Ake
- Incoming United addition Isak Hansen-Aaroen makes professional debut
- Victor Lindelof was not pictured in United training on Monday amid injury worry
- Fresh Jadon Sancho could help Manchester United start next season in style
- Harvey Neville signs professional Manchester United deal