Ethan Ennis confirmed this week he will join Manchester United, leaving Liverpool.
Ennis rejected Liverpool’s advances to stay, along with an approach from Chelsea the Echo reported . Manchester United fans like him already.
Who exactly is Ennis and what can he bring to Manchester United?
Ennis has played seven times for Liverpool’s under-18s in the league and once in the FA Youth Cup. In these eight games he managed to score five goals.
The highlight was undoubtedly a hat-trick scored against Sutton United in the Youth Cup. Ennis came off the bench in the 64th minute and managed to score his hat-tricks inside 24 minutes in a 6-0 victory.
Ennis’ three goals showed a range of talents. The first goal was a header, the second a poacher’s finish, and the third was an impressive solo effort.
Speaking after the win, Liverpool coach Marc Bridge-Wilkinson told Liverpool’s club website: “It was a great evening for him. It was his debut in the FA Youth Cup and he got three goals! What a wonderful achievement for him and he went on and did what I ask our subs to do: have an impact on the game. He arrived in great areas which forward players do and his finishing was really good.”
The reaction from Liverpool supporters showed how impressive he was, as Ennis upstaged their more established under-18 prospects.
Ethan Ennis…..what a talent at 16 yrs of age.— Charliethered#FBPA (@Charliethered3) March 16, 2021
The future looks good if these lads keep developing.
Versatile forward player
Ennis is an attacking midfielder who can play on both sides of attack. Last season he also played up front for Liverpool too.
United will try to settle him into a position, while also exploring where he works best. He will turn 17 in December.
Ennis is United’s first academy signing of the summer and managing to get him in from rivals Liverpool is a real coup, as he would have played a prominent role for them this season. United’s second under-18s fixture of the season happens to be against Liverpool.
He will be hoping to follow in the footsteps of Charlie McNeill, who left City last summer as a similarly highly rated prospect and ended the season with 25 academy goals to his name.
Ennis has already been welcomed by his new United teammates, who saw him first hand in contest between the two under-18 sides last season. United won that game 1-0, and Ennis can hopefully make that an even bigger scoreline next time they face off.
- Manchester United stars including Ronaldo respond to Bruno Fernandes
- Teammates react to 17-year-old’s three assists with Ronaldo comments
- Ethan Laird is one of the Championship’s best dribblers
- Greenwood petrified Villa but he lacked composure at crucial moments
- Varane leadership crucial ahead of first United Champions League start
- Villarreal top striker misses Real Madrid game ahead of United clash
- One bittersweet positive from a terrible day for Manchester United
- 55 shots in two games and 0 goals: Three reasons it’s going wrong for Manchester United
- Bruno Fernandes creates 10 chances in one game: Positives despite penalty miss
- Three changes to Manchester United’s back four looking likely for Villarreal clash