Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s Manchester United have received an early Champions League boost ahead of their double header with Atalanta.
The Italians could be without their star wing-back Robin Gosens after Germany coach Hansi Flick confirmed the 27-year-old had suffered a thigh injury.
The German international had to be helped off the pitch in the opening stages of Atalanta’s 1-0 win over Young Boys on Wednesday.
Flick claimed that Gosens had been “seriously injured” and Tuttomercatoweb are reporting that he could be out for up to two months.
It’s a huge slice of luck for United especially after the dramatic 2-1 win against Villarreal at Old Trafford, which saw Unai Emery’s side be without their star man Gerard Moreno.
Gosens a massive loss
The marauding and attacking Gosens will be a huge loss for Gian Piero Gasperini’s side but it is yet another much-welcomed break for United.
Especially with Aaron Wan-Bissaka suspended for another game and Diogo Dalot struggling to contain Arnaut Danjuma.
Gosens has established himself as one of the most attacking wing-backs in European football in recent years and his soaring reputation was enhanced further with an impressive Euro 2020.
His best game at the Euros came in the 4-2 win against holders Portugal, where he scored a superb goal before providing two assists.
Before Atalanta’s 3-2 defeat to AC Milan, Gosens had played in all eight of his side’s games so far this season, scoring the equaliser in a 2-2 draw at Villarreal having also hit the net in a 2-1 win in Serie A against Sassuolo.
In Serie A alone, Gosens scored 11 goals and registered 8 assists from 32 matches last season.
With former Chelsea full-back Davide Zappacosta most likely being fielded at right wing-back, Gosens is likely to be replaced by another wing-back who had an impressive Euro 2020.
Denmark international Joakim Maehle played at left wing-back in Atalanta’s defeat to Milan.
At the Euros, Mahele scored two goals and got one assist from his six games before his nation were knocked out by England in the semi-finals.
Robin Gosens will be a massive miss for Atalanta and their attacking threat will suffer as a result, but the Italian side’s quality goes far beyond Gosens and in Maehle, they have an equally adept deputy who could also cause us problems.
- Next Manchester United manager: Four replacements if Solskjaer is sacked
- Cristiano Ronaldo sends message to Manchester United fans after defeat
- David de Gea sends strong message to Manchester United fans
- Jesse Lingard clarifies what happened with Manchester United fan
- Bastian Schweinsteiger reacts to Manchester United’s defeat to Liverpool
- ‘Paul Scholes was right’… United fans react to Liverpool defeat
- Solskjaer reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Harry Maguire reacts to United’s 5-0 defeat to Liverpool
- Manchester United’s three worst players against Liverpool