James Garner made his first Championship start for Watford on Saturday.
It was a big call from the Hornets to select Garner, after he made his debut in a disappointing result in midweek as they lost to Newport County.
The Manchester United loanee still managed to perform well in that match, making more passes than any Watford player, and he earned his place in the team against Luton.
Garner starred as a Watford side which started Ismaila Sarr beat Luton 1-0 at Vicarage Road.
Making a good impression
Garner played all 90 minutes in midfield, helping Watford to see out the win and keep a clean sheet.
He had three shots at goal, with two on target, and created on goalscoring chance.
Garner completed 81 per cent of his passes, which was higher than any other Watford midfielder.
Defensively he chipped in with two tackles and three clearances, giving away only one foul.
This loan is a big opportunity for Garner, 19, and playing Championship football can be like being thrown in at the deep end.
Already he is winning over Watford fans and looks to have secured his pace in the team.
So far this is a good start for Garner, and United should be positive that this will be a productive loan spell.
Watford fan reaction
Here is a look at how Watford fans reacted to Garner’s performance…
- Pellestri may have to prove his worth with Manchester United’s U23s first
- United loanee Diogo Dalot makes AC Milan debut in Europa League win
- Donny van de Beek will get his chance at United, he just needs to stay patient
- Alex Telles could be Manchester United’s best crosser since David Beckham
- David de Gea is rising to the challenge at United, once again
- Watford fans are raving about United loanee James Garner
- Ryan Giggs says Cavani is the signing United have been ‘crying out for’
- Wan-Bissaka determined to represent England at international level
- Three questions for Solskjaer ahead of facing Chelsea