James Garner sealed his loan switch from Manchester United to Watford at the end of last week.
He made his debut for the Hornets just two days later, coming off the bench for the final 20 minutes in a 0-0 draw against Sheffield Wednesday.
Garner has a good chance of making his debut tonight (Tuesday 22) in the Carabao Cup against Newport County.
Ahead of that fixture, current Watford manager Vladimir Ivic had some high praise for the 19-year-old.
Ivic told his press conference, reported by Herts Live: “He is one of the most talented players in England.
“Everybody knows a lot of things about him – he’s coming from a big club and from a big academy.
“He is a quality player with the ball, he knows how to move the ball fast and he thinks fast which is very important.”
Time to adjust
There will be high hopes for Garner at Watford and his manager’s comments increase expectation for him.
While it is good to see he believes in him, supporters will need to be patient and not over react if he does not make an impact right away.
Garner may hit the ground running, but it could take him a few weeks to adjust to playing weekly Championship football.
This season is a tune-up year for him as he bids to get ready for the challenge at Manchester United next season. Succeeding at Watford is a must if he is going to do so.
It will be interesting to watch the progress of Watford’s new number 16 over the next season.
Manchester United loan exits 20/21
- Tahith Chong
Werder Bremen (season)
- Aliou Traore
SM Caen (season)
- Matej Kovar
Swindon Town (season)
- Joel Pereira
Huddersfield Town (season)
- Dylan Levitt
Charlton Athletic (season)
- James Garner
- Andreas Pereira
- Max Taylor
Kidderminster (until January)
- Diogo Dalot
AC Milan (season)
- Di’Shon Bernard
Salford City (until January)
- Jake Carney
Brighouse Town (season)
- Max Haygarth
Brentford B (until January)
- Manchester United tested switching Elanga’s position with encouraging results
- Bruno Fernandes at top of Premier League creative rankings
- Three players Manchester United should leave out of XI v RB Leipzig
- Brandon Williams looks like he may have switched to right-back
- Maguire and Lindelof share the same view on United’s draw with Chelsea
- Manchester United fans praise Victor Lindelof’s performance
- Solskjaer hails ‘different’ Cavani but mourns lack of fans at Manchester United games
- Manchester United fans react to Edinson Cavani’s debut performance
- Five things we learned as Manchester United draw 0-0 with Chelsea