Donny van de Beek’s withdrawal from Euro 2020 might have surprised some Manchester United fans.
The 24-year-old midfielder will not be part of the Netherlands squad for the tournament.
A groin injury has forced him to pull out, but according to a report from Van de Beek’s homeland, it’s not a new problem.
De Telegraaf claim that the midfielder has been playing and training through the pain for weeks.
Marcus Rashford sent van de Beek a message on Twitter when the news came to light.
After the Europa League final, the England international told the club’s official website that ‘five, six, seven’ United players were playing on through injuries.
Van de Beek didn’t play any part of that game, remaining an unused substitute.
Perhaps his injury played a part. If this report is true, he’d have needed painkillers just to get through the game.
Rashford is of course no stranger to playing through the pain.
He’s battled through shoulder and ankle injuries this season to do his bit for the team.
Next season must be better
Van de Beek has just had no luck during his first season at United.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer couldn’t find a place for him for months. Then when United got injuries which would have opened the door for him to play, van de Beek got injured.
Now, he has been ruled out of what would have been his first major tournament.
He just needs to write this season now, and get it out of his head.
Van de Beek should get a chance to rest and recover now, instead of using painkillers to get through the Euros.
It wouldn’t have been good for United if he returned back after a tough summer, with a delayed start to pre-season, having played through the pain again.
The break will be welcome and van de Beek can come back fighting next time around.
- Five German legends comments on Manchester United bound Jadon Sancho
- Diogo Dalot posts message after making Portugal debut
- Victor Lindelof makes timely contribution to help Sweden finish top
- Manchester United fans react to Paul Pogba’s performance
- Pogba and Fernandes embrace at end of France and Portugal draw
- Paul Pogba produces another masterclass as France draw with Portugal
- Anthony Elanga’s rave reviews set him up perfectly for 2021/22
- Jadon Sancho agreement likely ‘in days’ – report
- Neville hails Harry Maguire’s ‘dominant’ performance in England win
- How Paul Pogba’s salary compares to France international teammates