You can gauge from the reaction to Timothy Fosu-Mensah’s departure that he was a popular dressing room presence at Manchester United.
Paul Pogba and Eric Bailly were seen saying goodbye in an emotional video, and more teammates have also wished him well.
Among them is Fosu-Mensah’s Dutch compatriot Donny van de Beek.
The Netherlands midfielder sent Fosu-Mensah a message which included the words ‘I will miss you’.
Fosu-Mensah played a small role in helping Van de Beek choose United this summer.
The two knew each other from Ajax and then the Dutch set up and spoke on the phone before Van de Beek’s move.
Fosu-Mensah said: “
“I told him United is a big club, if not the biggest club. I said it’s good if you have the opportunity to come here. We have got very good team-mates, the quality is very good here.“
I said, ‘It’s up to you because I can’t make the decision for you but it’s a very good club.’ At the end of the day it was his decision.
Jesse Lingard was another player who sent wishes to Fosu-Mensah, saying he will be ‘missed massively’.
Fosu-Mensah might not have made much impact on the pitch this season but he was clearly a popular player behind closed doors.
United received a fee of £1.5 million for the Dutchman from Bayer Leverkusen, which was better than letting his contract wind down and losing him for nothing in the summer.
Fosu-Mensah could take on Dortmund next week, with Leverkusen facing Jadon Sancho’s side next Tuesday.
- Charlie McNeill is giving United fans more reason to be optimistic about the future
- Waiting on Jadon Sancho may turn out to be Manchester United masterstroke
- Is Declan Rice the right player for Manchester United?
- Three ways Manchester United can replace Rashford against Sheffield United
- Pellistri returns to United training as Diallo shows off his skills
- Lukasz Bejger says leaving United is the right decision
- Three reasons Solskjaer is succeeding where Lampard failed
- Victor Lindelof ‘very happy’ for Mason Greenwood after goal and assist vs Liverpool
- Luke Shaw impresses again as United beat Liverpool