Manchester United transfer target Moises Caicedo may have played his final game for Independiente del Valle, TyC Sports report.
Caicedo was in action on Monday as IDV took on Maraca in the Ecuadorian Serie A.
The 19-year-old midfielder played 90 minutes as his side slipped to a 1-0 defeat.
This was IDV’s final game of 2020 and ended a run of five consecutive wins. The team sit in sixth position in the league.
United chasing Caicedo’s signature
The MEN reported this week how Manchester United are pursuing a deal for Caicedo and hope to sign him in January.
The club are optimistic he would get a work permit as he has featured in each of Ecuador’s last four World Cup qualifying matches, scoring one goal and providing three assists.
ESPN South America report: “Caicedo is characterized by being a classic ‘box to box’ midfielder, one of those with great dynamism in attack and defense, so it would not be surprising if his game perfectly matches what the Manchester Red Devils are asking for.”
You can read more about Caicedo in our factfile here, including his past quotes revealing that he dreams of playing for United.
BBC Sport South American football expert Tim Vickery had a favourable comment regarding Caicedo’s ability when asked.
World Football Index’s Simon Edwards had an even more glowing take on Caicedo.
All of this is very encouraging with a potential move appearing to be tilting in the right direction. There is nothing reliable enough to be classed as definitive to say a deal has been done yet, despite some speculation on social media.
All the signs look positive, and with Caicedo’s 2020 now wrapped up, his focus and that of his club will now be geared more towards resolving his future.
This would be a very shrewd signing for United if it comes off, with Caicedo among the top talents in South America in his age range, already mixing it at international level at 19.
United won’t rush him into the first team before he is ready, but will provide a pathway for him to feature if he is deemed good enough, early enough.
- Is Manchester United vs West Ham on TV? Kick off time, team news and prediction
- 4-3-3: Predicted Manchester United XI v West Ham, Greenwood at 9
- Rangnick says he is happy with Manchester United star but calls on him to improve defensively
- Manchester United talent scores twice on under-23 return after loan recall
- Rangnick says Cristiano Ronaldo has a new injury and issues fitness latest on Scott McTominay
- Ralf Rangnick confirms two Manchester United starters vs West Ham
- Dwight Yorke says Manchester United youngster 'has a really good chance of making it'
- 'Great surprise' as Manchester United loanee Pellistri lands Uruguay call-up
- Report explains why Manchester United are out of the race to sign 22 goal target
- Dalot says he is loving playing alongside two 'high-quality' Manchester United players