Scott McTominay’s first competitive game against Leeds United was a match he will never forget.
McTominay put United a goal up after two minutes and then doubled the team’s lead moments later.
For a team who had struggled to start games well, and score goals from open play at Old Trafford, McTominay’s contribution was exactly what was needed.
Although, if you had to predict a player before the game who would net twice in the opening four minutes, McTominay would not have been high up the list.
McTominay had only scored one goal prior this season, a header away at Brighton in the Carabao Cup back in late September.
McTominay’s double surprised his teammates a little. Bruno Fernandes sent him a message on Instagram admitting ‘football is strange’.
Marcus Rashford also sent a message to McTominay, hailing his efforts.
United’s players looked like they were having fun at Old Trafford, which we have not been able to say often this season.
Leeds played straight into our hands with their cavalier approach, but there was something impressive about the way the Red Devils dismantled them.
Centre-back duo Victor Lindelof and Harry Maguire both sent messages expressing how pleased they were and how they enjoyed the game.
United are up into third place now, with a game in hand. And this victory was good for our goal difference too.
The goal difference stands at +7, having looked very unhealthy early into the season courtesy of two home defeats. United are now back on track.
- Ralf Rangnick’s fingerprints all over potential Manchester United exit
- Manchester United transfer target wins club’s player of the season
- Alejandro Garnacho hears the words he has been waiting for, it should be third time lucky
- Bruno Fernandes and Benni McCarthy react as goalkeeper leaves Manchester United
- Manchester United path to sign Moises Caicedo looks more difficult than ever
- Juventus set to make last-ditch attempt to keep Manchester United transfer target
- Donny van de Beek makes decision on his future, per Fabrizio Romano
- £35m Manchester United target advised to switch to La Liga instead
- 40 goal contributions: Manchester United star has performed beyond expectation
- Jack Butland sends message as he leaves Manchester United and Rangers move announced