Scott McTominay’s first competitive game against Leeds United was a match he will never forget.
McTominay put United a goal up after two minutes and then doubled the team’s lead moments later.
For a team who had struggled to start games well, and score goals from open play at Old Trafford, McTominay’s contribution was exactly what was needed.
Although, if you had to predict a player before the game who would net twice in the opening four minutes, McTominay would not have been high up the list.
McTominay had only scored one goal prior this season, a header away at Brighton in the Carabao Cup back in late September.
McTominay’s double surprised his teammates a little. Bruno Fernandes sent him a message on Instagram admitting ‘football is strange’.
Marcus Rashford also sent a message to McTominay, hailing his efforts.
United’s players looked like they were having fun at Old Trafford, which we have not been able to say often this season.
Leeds played straight into our hands with their cavalier approach, but there was something impressive about the way the Red Devils dismantled them.
Centre-back duo Victor Lindelof and Harry Maguire both sent messages expressing how pleased they were and how they enjoyed the game.
United are up into third place now, with a game in hand. And this victory was good for our goal difference too.
The goal difference stands at +7, having looked very unhealthy early into the season courtesy of two home defeats. United are now back on track.
- United’s latest bid for Sancho verified but not approved
- McTominay better than Rice says ex United star
- Jadon Sancho to Manchester United: Moving forward?
- Dean Henderson now has perfect chance to reinforce his Manchester United position
- Former Leeds fan favourite spotted wearing Manchester United shirt
- Three reasons Manchester United should avoid Sergio Ramos signing
- Manchester United swapping Pogba for Ronaldo would not solve the main problem
- Manchester United’s Hannibal Mejbri can return from international duty a different player
- Scotland fans go crazy for Scott McTominay after performance against England
- England v Scotland: Two Manchester United stars have scored for Three Lions v Scotland in last 25 years