United said to be considering summer move for Yves Bissouma
Brighton value Bissouma at around £40 million, although there is a potential complication for United due to a lack of urgency being shown at present.
United may need to speed up interest
Villa have already been active, signing Lucas Digne from Everton and Philippe Coutinho on loan from Barcelona, and both could face United this weekend.
Bissouma is currently away at the AFCON with Mali, which makes Villa’s hopes of sealing a deal this month particularly complicated, potentially letting a sleepwalking Manchester United off the hook.
Lack of urgency at United
Manchester United are currently struggling in the league, sitting in seventh place. You might think this would fire a rocket into the Glazers, instead there is a lack of urgency.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was sacked belatedly, with a lot of damage done to this season’s league hopes, and Ralf Rangnick was placed in temporary charge.
Rangnick is working with what he has, and he is doing his best to mould United into a more competitive team, while also struggling a little, so far using six different formations in seven matches.
It’s quite clear United lack some of the midfield and creative options Rangnick would like in the side, but he does not appear to be getting any funds to work with.
This is why players like Bissouma are being described as summer targets, rather than immediate ones, because United do not currently know who the manager will be for the 2022/23 season and beyond.
Once that decision is made, it becomes a lot easier to plan, but it’s hard at present to invest in a Bissouma and offer him a five-year contract, when United do not know if the next manager will see him as a first team regular.
Take a risk
The reasons for not wanting to invest now, tie in with United’s lack of clarity for next season. But at some point, United need to take a risk.
Bissouma is proven as one of the best midfielders in the Premier League, and is a good age at 25. He is ready for a fresh challenge.
It’s more likely that a new manager will be thankful for the club buying him in January than resentful, and it is a chance United should take, considering the lack of quality in midfield at present.
Bissouma is the second Brighton player to be linked, with The Mail reporting the club are keen on right-back Tariq Lamptey.
- £67.5m star hands in transfer request with Manchester United linked
- Club confirm signing of 'high calibre' young player released by Manchester United
- Opinion: Cristiano Ronaldo frustration is understandable as Murtough continues to strike out
- Reward for failure: MUST criticise 'indefensible' £11m Glazer dividend payment
- 'Graveyard'… Neville says Glazers to blame as Manchester United battle for signing
- Last ditch effort to sign Manchester United midfielder being considered, 51 games played this season
- Ajax star who just quit tips Manchester United transfer target to leave for big fee
- 'New Neymar' is the player Manchester United should be signing this summer
- Picture: De Jong mocked up in Manchester United kit by Spanish press as Red Devils' deal deadline suggested
- 'Ten Hag will get his man': Ornstein backs Manchester United to get important double deal done
- Romano says Manchester United target's agents are asking club to consider offers with 'Ten Hag pushing'