Jesse Lingard played his third match out on loan last night since leaving Manchester United at the end of January.
Lingard was again on the winning side as West Ham managed what Manchester United couldn’t… beat Sheffield United at home.
The Hammers made light work of it, winning 3-0, unlike our 2-1 home defeat at the end of last month.
Lingard played a key role too. He won West Ham’s penalty after he was fouled inside the box. It was the first spot kick they had won all season.
He had four shots on target and was a consistent threat for a West Ham side playing without a recognised striker.
West Ham have now climbed two points above Liverpool in the Premier League table, with the same number of games played.
Lingard is for now being well appreciated at his new, temporary home. West Ham’s twitter account used one word to summarise his impact.
Former West Ham striker John Hartson further elaborated, commending the way Lingard has energised the team, while also making reference to when he joined the club.
Lingard’s former United teammate Angel Gomes also expressed his happiness at seeing Lingard enjoying his football.
This is what Lingard needed
Lingard left on loan for two reasons. The first was simply that he needed to play football again.
He has now played as many times for West Ham this season as he has done for Manchester United in the first few months of the campaign (3).
The secondary reason he left was to give himself a shot of an England recall for Euro 2021.
If he carries on playing like this, Lingard has a shot of getting a call-up. He didn’t if he stayed put at Old Trafford.
United did the right thing by letting him leave, it wasn’t fair to keep him on the sidelines. If he keeps up this type of form though, there may be a few questions as to whether his game time at United could have been managed more effectively.
- Manchester United set to resume training
- Charlie McCann sends message after leaving Manchester United
- United announce Rashford is set for surgery on shoulder injury
- Raphael Varane says goodbye to Real Madrid after agreeing to join United
- Photos: Sancho features as Manchester United officially release new 2021/22 away kit
- Report provides update on United’s Covid situation after Preston friendly is cancelled
- Alejandro Garnacho grabs brace in Manchester United under-18s win over Tottenham
- Laurent Blanc said it was ‘an honour’ to be compared to Raphael Varane
- Logan Pye signs Manchester United pro contract
- Harry Maguire pictured enjoying holiday abroad
- Sergio Ramos and Marcelo congratulate Raphael Varane on Manchester United move