While Manchester United were busy hammering RB Leizpig 5-0 at Old Trafford, loanee Andreas Pereira was making his Champions League bow for Lazio.
Pereira came off the bench at half-time for Lazio to help the Italian side secure a 1-1 draw away at Club Brugge.
It was a familiar opponent for Pereira, with the stadium at Club Brugge the scene for his last start for Manchester United back in February.
Like United’s visit to the Jan Breydel Stadium, Lazio left with a 1-1 draw.
Pereira joined the fray at half-time with the score at 1-1 and played his role in helping Lazio secure a point.
This leaves Lazio and Club Brugge on four points, with Dortmund in third.
Lazio’s build-up to the game was tricky with various players negotiating covid protocols.
Pereira himself had only played 11 minutes for the club previous to this game, and arrived late in Belgium after what Football Italia described as a ‘false positive’ test.
Lazio manager Simone Inzaghi praised his contribution, telling TMW: “Pereira arrived today at 17:15, with a flight on his legs, but he was very good.”
Pereira created one chance, and won two tackles, in a solid display in which he did what was asked of him.
Lazio’s objective here was to avoid defeat and he helped them come away with a point.
A step forward
It is simply good for Pereira to be playing again after a difficult 2020 for him.
He appears to have landed on his feet at Lazio, at a club where he has the chance to grow, and play Champions League football.
They will fancy their chances of reaching the knockout stages after a decent start to the group.
If Lazio were drawn against United, Pereira would be permitted to play against us as per rules of the competition.
- Joel Glazer comments in announcement to plan Super League
- ‘Absolute scandal’… Gary Neville rages against proposed European Super League reports and Glazers
- Three big positives from Manchester United’s win over Burnley
- What channel is the Man Utd v Burnley Premier League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Three key questions as Raphael Varane to Manchester United links ramp up
- Youngster Malachi Sharpe undergoes first Manchester United academy training session
- Manchester United U23s deservedly beaten by ruthless Manchester City
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Burnley
- Haaland has shown why Manchester United need to sign Sancho as a priority