Manchester United have been given one extra reason to sign Jules Kounde after his superb solo goal against Barcelona.
The centre-back is reported by The Mirror to be United’s top centre-back target for the summer, with a fee of £60 million touted.
There’s a danger he could be worth a bit more after his goal for Sevilla against Barcelona in a Copa del Rey match between the two teams.
Kounde picked the ball up around 45 yards out, slalomed through Barcelona’s midfield and defence and finished like a centre-forward to open the scoring.
This is not a common occurrence for Kounde. It was just the third goal he has scored in 27 total appearances this season.
But it does show what he is capable of, and that he has this type of attacking contribution in his locker. It’s the type of goal you could never imagine Harry Maguire scoring.
Kounde does it at the other end too. His Sevilla side have conceded just 16 goals in 21 La Liga games all season.
Unsurprisingly his goal caught the attention of United fans. The desire for a new centre-back has increased after the weekend’s disappointing 3-3 home draw with Everton.
If there’s one downside of Kounde’s goal it is that a strike of this quality will increase his reputation and add to his list of suitors.
Real Madrid have been linked to him since last summer [Goal] and nothing catches the attention of Los Blancos fans more than a wondergoal against Barcelona.
United probably have the funds to outspend Real, but nothing is predictable in this summer’s market. Real did not spend much last summer, with a view to saving for this year.
A centre-back is a top priority for United, and we wrote this week how Sevilla’s reported interest in Diogo Dalot could potentially play into our favour.
Jules Kounde: Factfile
- Kounde has spent two seasons now at Sevilla
The Spanish side paid around £22 million to sign him from Toulouse in 2019.
- Kounde won the Europa League in his first season
He helped Sevilla to a 2-1 semi-final win over United along the way.
- Height: 5ft9
Kounde says his jump makes up for his lack of height. He led all Sevilla defenders in 2019/20 with 3.2 aerial duels won per game.
- Another talented French defender
Kounde has represented France at under-21 level and is still awaiting his first senior cap.
- Mata’s impressed Solskjaer in training: Could he resume van de Beek partnership tonight?
- Manchester United loanee Facundo Pellistri returns to Alaves training after injury
- Solskjaer says United believe Will Fish could be a star
- Three things we want to see in Paul Pogba’s Amazon ‘Pogmentary’
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Granada
- Manchester United fans react to Jude Bellingham’s Champions League performance
- Three key questions as Declan Rice to Manchester United rumours grow stronger
- Brandon Williams will fancy his chances of rare game time for United tonight
- What channel is the Man Utd v Granada Europa League match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Manchester United’s TikTok account releases light-hearted Cavani video after Tottenham controversy
- It’s easy to see why Harry Kane is reportedly interested in signing for Manchester United