When you look back at where Angel Gomes was 12 months ago, the worsr case scenario is playing out.
A year ago we were leading into what would be Gomes’ last ever start for United away at Astana in the Europa League.
Gomes created three chances in this match, more than any United player – and then never received another starting opportunity.
United wanted to keep Gomes – but he was unimpressed by a lack of starting opportunities and declined the club’s contract offer at the end of June.
Now after signing with Lille, Gomes is lighting it up in Portugal on loan with Boavista.
His latest star turn was a solo goal for Boavista against Farense when he picked the ball up near the centre circle, danced through the midfield, before curling the ball into the bottom corner.
After winning rave reviews for helping to take apart Benfica earlier in the week, Gomes is now building quite a highlights reel for himself.
Unfortunately it will be Lille profiting next season, and not United.
In five games this season Gomes has three goals and two assists.
Last season United gave Gomes just 19 minutes of Premier League action. Jesse Lingard got 932 minutes and Andreas Pereira 1,460.
Considering how neither have much of a future at United, this looks like a big misjudgement.
Seeing Gomes thrive in Portugal is not surprising considering his talent. It’s also hard to watch, with United losing him for free.
Here is a look at some of the reaction to his latest goal…
- Ralf Rangnick hails Anthony Elanga and explains why he took Cristiano Ronaldo off
- 'Fearless'… Some United fans react to wonderkid's 'outrageous' performance v Brentford
- Cristiano Ronaldo comments on Instagram after Manchester United win
- Manchester United's 5 best players against Brentford
- Gary Neville reacts to Manchester United's win over Brentford and Elanga's performance
- 5 things we learned as Manchester United beat Brentford 3-1
- Ralf Rangnick confirms Manchester United star is missing Brentford clash due to “muscular problem”
- Confirmed Manchester United XI v Brentford: Ronaldo and Elanga start
- Manchester United recall loanee who played just 20 minutes throughout his spell
- Ralf Rangnick has effectively told fans Paul Pogba is leaving the club this summer