Manchester United will be reunited with Villarreal in the Champions League after being drawn against the Spanish side in the group stages.
Villarreal beat United on penalties in the Europa League final last season after a 1-1 draw over 120 minutes.
This meant Villarreal were top seeds for the Champions League groups, and United landed one of the softer draws by being drawn against them.
Beating them won’t be easy. In four Champions League meetings between the sides before, all of them have finished 0-0.
The difference now is Cristiano Ronaldo, who gives United a real edge.
Villarreal boss Unai Emery is wary of the challenge ahead for his side.
Speaking to the Villarreal website, Emery said: “Obviously, the big club in the group is Manchester United.
“We’ll meet again and feel the force of those players who are some of the best in the world.”
The other two teams in the group are Atalanta and Young Boys.
United kick off and end the campaign against the Swiss side, with the first match taking place away from home.
The Red Devils’ first fixture will be at home to Emery’s Villarreal.
Manchester United’s Champions League group stages fixtures 2021
- Young Boys (A)
Tuesday September 14, 5.45pm
- Villarreal (H)
Wednesday September 29, 8pm
- Atalanta (H)
Wednesday October 20, 8pm
- Atalanta (A)
Tuesday November 2, 8pm
- Villarreal (A)
Tuesday November 23, 5.45pm
- Young Boys (H)
Wednesday December 8, 8pm
- Little margin for error as Solskjaer cannot afford Champions League early KO
- Solskjaer urged to make ‘cut throat’ team selections for Manchester United
- Manchester United now have fixture boost for next month’s Tottenham clash
- Teenager Harrison Parker appears to confirm United academy switch on Instagram
- Three Cristiano Ronaldo cup lessons for Manchester United
- Mason Greenwood’s electric impact shows what Anthony Martial is missing
- Alex Telles sends disappointed message to Manchester United fans
- United may have good squad depth but last night’s XI lacked leaders
- Patrice Evra thanks Manchester United as he completes his coaching badges
- Aston Villa fans laud Tuanzebe’s EFL Cup performance
- Solskjaer had ideal chance to unleash Hannibal Mejbri but opted for Mata instead
- Alex Telles shows attacking qualities but also his defensive deficiencies
- Solskjaer hails United fans after EFL Cup exit
- When will Donny van de Beek’s next opportunity come after cup KO?
- Anthony Martial wastes his Manchester United chance