Manchester United’s Europa League final defeat to Villarreal was one we would rather forget.
But reminders of the near miss keep popping up, just like the midweek Super Cup which of course went to penalties.
Now UEFA have announced there will be an award for the best player of the 2020/21 Europa League.
There is a three man shortlist and two Manchester United players are on the list.
United stars deserve their place
Striker Edinson Cavani makes the shortlist, after scoring four goals in the semi-finals and one in the final. He also netted in the quarter-final second leg.
Bruno Fernandes was instrumental for United in the knockout rounds, right from the first game against Real Sociedad in which he scored twice.
The third player on the shortlist is Villarreal striker Gerard Moreno, who scored against United in the final.
UEFA explained how the shortlist was compiled, stating: “The jury was composed of the coaches of the 48 clubs in last season’s group stage, together with 55 journalists selected by the European Sports Media (ESM) group, one from each UEFA member association.”
Paul Pogba narrowly missed out on making the shortlist, being voted in fourth place and Villarreal’s Pau Torres in fifth.
Pogba won the award in 2016/17, and last season it was won by Inter striker Romelu Lukaku.
The votes have been made already for the winner, but they have not been disclosed.
The winner will be announced at the UEFA Europa League draw on August 27.
- Manchester United and Atalanta are polar opposites in one specific category
- Brandon Williams may have to be patient to regain Norwich starting spot
- Lack of Pogba to Ronaldo connection is biggest attacking disappointment
- How Manchester United could line-up v Atalanta in 3-5-2 formation
- Manchester United’s weakened defence have to contain in-form Duvan Zapata
- Marcus Rashford return could help Luke Shaw rediscover best form
- Tielemans dominated United and showed Solskjaer what he needs and lacks
- Bruno Fernandes made most key passes in the Premier League at weekend
- Manchester United’s players ‘lack grit’ says BBC pundit
- Kobbie Mainoo scores incredible solo goal for England under-17s
- Josip Ilicic hits form at worst possible time for Manchester United