Two Manchester United players on three-man UEFA Europa League award shortlist
Manchester United’s Europa League final defeat to Villarreal was one we would rather forget.
But reminders of the near miss keep popping up, just like the midweek Super Cup which of course went to penalties.
Now UEFA have announced there will be an award for the best player of the 2020/21 Europa League.
There is a three man shortlist and two Manchester United players are on the list.
United stars deserve their place
Striker Edinson Cavani makes the shortlist, after scoring four goals in the semi-finals and one in the final. He also netted in the quarter-final second leg.
Bruno Fernandes was instrumental for United in the knockout rounds, right from the first game against Real Sociedad in which he scored twice.
The third player on the shortlist is Villarreal striker Gerard Moreno, who scored against United in the final.
UEFA explained how the shortlist was compiled, stating: “The jury was composed of the coaches of the 48 clubs in last season’s group stage, together with 55 journalists selected by the European Sports Media (ESM) group, one from each UEFA member association.”
Paul Pogba narrowly missed out on making the shortlist, being voted in fourth place and Villarreal’s Pau Torres in fifth.
Pogba won the award in 2016/17, and last season it was won by Inter striker Romelu Lukaku.
The votes have been made already for the winner, but they have not been disclosed.
The winner will be announced at the UEFA Europa League draw on August 27.
- Ten Hag eyeing £25 million move for Ajax's player of the season
- 5 alternatives to Frenkie de Jong for Manchester United, one is free, another is the PL's top bargain
- Manchester United target Antony could leave Ajax this summer, admits Daley Blind
- 19-year-old defensive midfielder thrilled to join Cristiano Ronaldo in Manchester United training
- 'He can completely destroy an opponent': Ten Hag's £14.4m Ajax star raves about former Manchester United boss
- Manchester United XI that could leave this summer, including two France internationals
- 20-year-old Manchester United talent compared to De Ligt could be big winner under Ten Hag
- Ralf Rangnick gets triple injury boost ahead of final game as Manchester United manager
- Brazilian press report Antony is keen to leave Ajax, Manchester United make 'concrete proposal'
- An XI of players that has played with Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi including 3 former Manchester United stars
- Manchester United loanee gets international call despite only 71 minutes action in four months