Timothy Fosu-Mensah’s versatility was on show in Manchester United’s pre-season friendly with Aston Villa.
The Dutchman was a surprise selection at centre-back as an experimental United team took on Aston Villa.
While United lost 1-0 through a goal from Ollie Watkins, Fosu-Mensah acquitted himself well considering it was his first match at the position in several seasons.
Fosu-Mensah grew into the game as it went on, before he was shifted forward into central midfield after Teden Mengi came on.
Fosu-Mensah’s performance was praised by ex-Red Devils defender Clayton Blackmore on MUTV.
Blackmore said he believes Fosu-Mensah could end up springing a surprise at centre-back.
He said: “He’s got great pace, great strength. He can’t be overlooked.
“He might be someone the manager has a headache about in the not so distant future.”
He will get minutes
Fosu-Mensah’s best asset for this United side is his versatility, and this match showcased an extra two positions he could fill in, if required.
At the end of last season Fosu-Mensah played at both left-back and right-back, and as a squad player, he can be useful for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer during this busy season.
Teden Mengi is a more exciting prospect to bring through, but Fosu-Mensah may get more chances to be in the matchday squads in the first place due to his ability to play in multiple positions.
Saturday was about earning Solskjaer’s trust, and the manager at least is sufficiently intrigued as to what he has to offer that he wanted to take a look.
- Henderson reportedly set for first United start of the season vs West Ham
- Which Eric Bailly will we see on his first United appearance of the season?
- Charlie Savage tries claiming deflected own goal and his teammates are not having it
- Ex United duo Falcao and Bebe combine to net late winner for La Liga side
- Teden Mengi produces captain’s performance in EFL Trophy win
- What is Cristiano Ronaldo’s penalty record for Manchester United?
- Ethan Galbraith impresses in cameo role to help Doncaster beat City U21s
- What channel is the Man Utd vs West Ham EFL Cup match on? Kick off time, live stream and latest team news
- Solskjaer says Rashford could return after international break