Timothy Fosu-Mensah’s versatility was on show in Manchester United’s pre-season friendly with Aston Villa.
The Dutchman was a surprise selection at centre-back as an experimental United team took on Aston Villa.
While United lost 1-0 through a goal from Ollie Watkins, Fosu-Mensah acquitted himself well considering it was his first match at the position in several seasons.
Fosu-Mensah grew into the game as it went on, before he was shifted forward into central midfield after Teden Mengi came on.
Fosu-Mensah’s performance was praised by ex-Red Devils defender Clayton Blackmore on MUTV.
Blackmore said he believes Fosu-Mensah could end up springing a surprise at centre-back.
He said: “He’s got great pace, great strength. He can’t be overlooked.
“He might be someone the manager has a headache about in the not so distant future.”
He will get minutes
Fosu-Mensah’s best asset for this United side is his versatility, and this match showcased an extra two positions he could fill in, if required.
At the end of last season Fosu-Mensah played at both left-back and right-back, and as a squad player, he can be useful for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer during this busy season.
Teden Mengi is a more exciting prospect to bring through, but Fosu-Mensah may get more chances to be in the matchday squads in the first place due to his ability to play in multiple positions.
Saturday was about earning Solskjaer’s trust, and the manager at least is sufficiently intrigued as to what he has to offer that he wanted to take a look.
- Juan Mata’s 90% shot-accuracy shows he could have Manchester United role during goal struggles
- Three things Solskjaer has got right and wrong this season
- How Cameron Borthwick-Jackson is faring since leaving Manchester United permanently
- Manchester United loanee James Garner has big point to prove this weekend
- Amad Diallo is the risk Solskjaer should be taking at Manchester United
- Diogo Dalot has perfect opportunity to impress against Manchester United
- Ed Woodward needs to back Solskjaer this summer to complete Manchester United’s squad
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Manchester City
- Manchester United’s plan to rely on Mason Greenwood may need to be re-assessed