Last month Venezuelan star Yeferson Soteldo made headlines when he declared his desire to sign for Manchester United.
Soteldo was not thought to be a player high on United’s priority list – but there is a case he should be.
He told Gazeta Esportiva “I always dreamed of playing for Manchester United, the dream remains intact.
“There are many steps to get there, but I feel I can. I’ve been following Cristiano Ronaldo since I was a child, I saw him at Manchester United and that’s why my love and desire to play at Old Trafford. I would choose easy. I would make a lifetime contract.”
Here is a look at three reasons United should consider a move for the South American…
Position of need
Soteldo plays in a position where United need more options, on the left wing.
Marcus Rashford is a clear first choice here, but United need options, as shown by the England star’s recent injury.
It’s important to take the pressure off Rashford and not depend on him to play 90 minutes twice a week.
He would give United natural width and an alternative in style.
He is a strong dribbler and is more ‘ready’ than Tahith Chong, who may need to go out on loan next season.
Another creative option who can chip in with goals can help an attack which scored only 44 goals in 29 Premier League games this past season.
Soteldo is the right type of profile for this Manchester United squad. He is just 22-years-old and is still blossoming into the player he hopes to become.
He is already a Venezuelan international and will not have any issues gaining a work permit, with 17 caps so far.
For Brazilian side Santos this past season he scored 10 goals and provided six assists in 32 games, averaging a goal contribution every other game.
United would be buying an emerging player, one who has his best years ahead of him.
He would be a gamble, but this United side could use a dose of South American attacking flair to liven up our options.
If we are spending big on Jadon Sancho for the right side, a cheaper deal for Soteldo would fit into United’s remaining budget.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been keen to sign players who want to sign for United, rather than mercenary types. Soteldo ticks the box.
As we have seen with Odion Ighalo, passion and desire can go along way in getting the fans on side.
Soteldo picked up 10 bookings this past season, showing he is a chippy character who plays with his heart on his sleeve.
Combine this with his ability and desire to play at Old Trafford, and he might just be worth United taking a chance on.
- Victor Lindelof was not pictured in United training on Monday amid injury worry
- Fresh Jadon Sancho could help Manchester United start next season in style
- Harvey Neville signs professional Manchester United deal
- New Matic contract can help persuade Pogba to renew his United deal
- The stats which show Jack Grealish can be a top asset for Manchester United
- For Bruno Fernandes even to be compared to Eric Cantona is quite special
- Solskjaer says Matic is ‘hugely ambitious’ as he signs new United deal
- Solskjaer says he expects Martial and Rashford to both kick on now
- Who is reported Manchester United target Facundo Pellistri?