A combination of the late end to the recent transfer window and a packed schedule without much room to breathe, has meant there has not been time for much focus on January transfer opportunities.
Despite this the transfer window will be open in just over a week’s time. So what will United’s priority be?
United’s squad is not perfect, and there is room for improvement.
There are three key positions which need strengthening, whether it be January or next summer.
The club at least have the option to work on one in January, leaving less to do in the summer window…
Manchester United only have one true defensive midfielder at the club and he is 32-years-old.
United need to find a long-term replacement for Nemanja Matic and should be on the lookout right now.
Eduardo Camavinga could be a potential solution, while Premier League star Wilfred Ndidi would be a good fit.
Mid-season deals will be difficult, but there could be a name United have an eye on and are willing to make an early move for.
It still feels like Manchester United’s defence is around a 7 or 8 out of 10 at best and no higher than that.
Neither Eric Bailly or Axel Tuanzebe have been able to break into the first team on a regular basis.
United chose to leave this position last summer, but it is time to take another look.
Dayot Upamecano is one option for United to look at. Again this may be a position where there is more chance of doing deals in the summer rather than Janaury but United should stay alert.
It seemed incomprehensible that United would not sign a first team winger in the summer but that is where we ended up.
Amad Diallo arrives in January after his delayed move from Atalanta. United should not expect too much right away, despite the excitement around him.
United can actually take pressure off him by signing a winger capable of contributing now. The squad is imbalanced due to not currently possessing this option.
One move may be to try and deal with Dortmund for Jadon Sancho, to get a pre-agreement on a summer deal.
- It should come as no surprise Lazio aren’t keen on £23.3m Pereira option
- Marcos Rojo is still out injured after leaving United
- Solskjaer explains why he didn’t bring Amad Diallo on against Palace
- Gary Neville criticises Marcus Rashford’s performance
- Manchester United fans react to Dean Henderson’s performance
- Luke Shaw and Eric Bailly send messages to Manchester United fans
- United fans puzzled by Cavani for James substitution
- Anthony Martial faces fitness battle for Manchester derby
- Five things we learned as Manchester United draw with Crystal Palace