Manchester United re-signed Cristiano Ronaldo in the summer, fulfilling a dream transfer many fans thought would never be possible.
Even at the age of 36, Ronaldo is demonstrating his qualities as a truly special player, with 14 goals already this season.
So what lies ahead in the year 2022? Hopefully a big improvement in results, after a horrific start to this current season which saw Ole Gunnar Solskjaer fired.
It’s clear there are still improvements required, with this squad of players still far from the real deal. Here is a look at three dream signings the club should consider making in 2022…
Manchester United need to find a replacement for Edinson Cavani, with the Uruguayan’s contract set to expire in the summer.
Erling Haaland is the most in-demand striker in Europe, and while that means dealing with Mino Raiola, Haaland is worth it.
Haaland is driven and focused on success, and has previously expressed admiration for Ronaldo. United’s system of playing two strikers means there is room for both.
The Norwegian’s goal record is staggering, with 76 goals in 75 Borussia Dortmund games. He is not going to the World Cup next season either, which means he will be fresh for when the campaign restarts and this can give United a real edge.
Haaland has a release clause in his Dortmund contract and while there will be several teams keen to pay it, United have a real chance, and Ralf Rangnick is a big fan of the striker.
An even more pressing need than a striker is to sign a defensive midfielder. Declan Rice’s performances have shot up a level in 2021 and he would be an ideal signing.
Doing a deal for the West Ham ace will be tricky, and may depend on United clinching a Champions League spot and the Hammers missing out on Europe. David Moyes’ side have dropped in form over the last fortnight.
Rice has the drive and leadership qualities United need in midfield as well as the ability. He was excellent at the Euros and is still only 22-years-old.
A move would cost United a very steep price, but sometimes you have to pay up for a top player. Rice would transform the midfield and benefit the entire team.
Doing a deal for Rice will not be easy and a more straightforward deal would be to pay up for Monaco star Aurelien Tchouameni.
Tchouameni has established himself as a France international this season and at just 21, he is an outstanding option for United’s defensive midfield spot.
FBRef.com cite Tchouameni in the top three for interceptions in Ligue 1 this season and top six for total tackles.
The young midfielder could cost half the price of Rice and still have a major impact. Tchouameni would be a sensible and shrewd addition to United’s ranks.
- Manager “really pleased” with Manchester United loanee's performances vs league's best
- 7 players who could leave Manchester United before the transfer deadline
- 10 things we learned from Ralf Rangnick's first 10 games in charge at Manchester United
- Ranking Marcus Rashford's 4 Manchester United injury time winning goals
- Manchester United youngster expected to leave the club on loan this month
- Highly-rated Manchester United loanee targeting a World Cup place
- 'We'll wrap him up': Manager provides injury update on 'top performer' Manchester United loanee
- Rangnick challenges Manchester United ace to consistently show his 'quality'
- Three Manchester United players spotted training in Dubai as others rest