The theory which could see Filip Stevanovic's switch to Manchester United move forward
Last month a report in Serbian newspaper Republika claimed Manchester United had struck a £10.8m deal with Partizan Belgrade to sign Filip Stevanovic.
Since then the speculation over the winger’s future has gone quiet, despite the player himself posting an image on Instagram of himself playing at Old Trafford last season in the Europa League on the day the reports broke.
Now there is a theory which could see Stevanovic’s move to Manchester United move forward today.
Non-EU player regulations
Article 19 of FIFA’s International Transfer Regulations states that players under 18 years old cannot move countries, unless the switch is between clubs side the European Union.
Serbia is a non-EU country and as such, Stevanovic could not be transferred.
Now today, September 25, Stevanovic turns 18-years-old.
Has this been the hold-up?
Call us optimistic, but we need a bit of positivity right now at United after a disappointing transfer window.
There is a chance that today, Stevanovic’s transfer to Manchester United finally moves forward.
What is even more unclear is whether the young Serbian would go straight into the first team at United, the under-23s, or even be sent back on loan to Partizan as had originally been suggested.
United need wingers and Stevanovic is regarded as one of Europe’s top prospects.
What has he been up to?
Since the United rumours broke, Stevanovic has remained part of Partizan’s first team set up.
We reported how he won a penalty in one of Partizan’s games, a 5-0 victory.
He scored his first goal of the season in a recent 3-0 win for Partizan a fortnight ago.
Last night he was in action for Partizan in their Europa League qualifying match against Charleroi, and was substituted at half-time.
Could this end up being his last game? It’s no clearer now than it was a month ago, but now he is 18, this becomes one to watch over the next few days, even today.
Filip Stevanovic: Player factfile
- First team star already
Stevanovic has now played 50 games for Partizan. He has 10 first team goals.
- Breakthrough talent
He made his first team debut at just 16-years-old for Partizan.
- Played at Old Trafford
Stevanovic featured home and away against United as a substitute in the Europa League in 2019/20
- Tricky style of play
Stevanovic is a left winger who loves to run with the ball. He is fast and has a strong shot, making him a difficult player for opponents to contain.
- 'Leading option'… Manchester United make move for Juventus midfielder as De Jong alternative
- £31m Manchester United star has big part to play despite Ten Hag opening day snub
- Manchester United target said Red Devils star on 'another planet' and was criticised by Neville
- Laporta tells two Barcelona players to leave and makes Frenkie de Jong statement amid Manchester United reports
- 19 passes completed in 79 minutes: Manchester United star is simply not good enough
- 5 reasons Manchester United lost 2-1 to Brighton on opening day of the season
- Erik ten Hag picks out Manchester United star for praise after 2-1 defeat
- Roy Keane blasts Manchester United pre-season 'PR'
- 99 Touches, 15 Recoveries: £46m Manchester United star a bright spot in 2-1 defeat