Teden Mengi came off the bench to make his debut for Manchester United in the 2-1 win over LASK.
Mengi was brought on in the 82nd minute with the score at 1-1, as part of a double substitution with matchwinner Anthony Martial.
The 18-year-old did not look at all out of place as he helped United contain LASK over the final 10 minutes.
Mengi had 16 touches during his brief showing, which was actually five more than goalscorer Martial.
After the game Mengi sent an emotional message expressing his happiness and personal satisfaction at making his first team bow.
First of many
It was actually a disappointment not to see Mengi’s name on the teamsheet from the very start in this one.
Solskjaer though paid respect to LASK by naming a side full of players with first team experience as he sought to keep momentum up. This meant none of the under-23 players got starting roles.
Tahith Chong and Teden Mengi both came off the bench, while James Garner was an unused substitute and Ethan Laird missed out altogether.
For Mengi this tops an outstanding year. It was only in August last year that he made his under-23 debut for United.
He has overtaken older academy players to get into the first team reckoning and it was great to see him rewarded with his debut for the final part of the game.
Solskjaer praised him after the match, telling the club website: “He’s a leader. A centre-back. Of course, he’s one that we believe in.
“He’s the age group of Mason [Greenwood], so they’ve grown up together as good mates. He’s strong, quick, good on the ball, so I think we’ve got a decent player there.”
To come on and be part of a win was a moment Mengi will not forget, probably for the rest of the long career he has ahead of him, and beyond.
There is a lot more to come from this talented young player, even if his next appearance may only come next season, with United now into the last eight of the Europa League.
- Manchester United’s TikTok account releases light-hearted Cavani video after Tottenham controversy
- It’s easy to see why Harry Kane is reportedly interested in signing for Manchester United
- Phil Jones pictured training for first time in 2021
- Harry Maguire names United’s strongest player and most talented
- Solskjaer says Bailly will definitely not face Granada
- Hannibal Mejbri ineligible for Manchester United Europa League call-up
- United loanee Laird endures tough night in 4-0 defeat
- Noah Solskjaer manages to see through Mourinho in a way the national media can’t
- Three reasons Dusan Vlahovic is an interesting Manchester United strike option