Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was asked about Angel Gomes in today’s press conference.
He was asked directly if Gomes would be leaving, with his contract set to expire on June 30.
Solskjaer said: “I have not heard from them last night or this morning. It seems like they have not managed to agree.
“The answer is short, and probably a yes then.”
Gomes has a new contract from United on the table, but no agreement has been reached.
He has made only two appearances in the Premier League this season, both from the bench.
Gomes has not been named in any of the club’s 20-man squads since the league restarted.
He has been training with the first team, but it appears he is now set to leave.
While a late turnaround is not impossible over the next 48 hours, Solskjaer’s comments suggest United are giving up hope of the youngster staying.
Gomes has been one of United’s most highly rated young players for several years now, and has shown flashes of quality, but he has not been able to make the breakthough to the first team on a regular basis.
Even if he stayed, a loan move would have been necessary for him to progress his career.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was speaking ahead of Manchester United’s Premier League clash with Brighton and Hove Albion.
United are away to the Seagulls, in what will be Solskjaer’s first visit to the Amex as manager.
United’s fixture with Brighton kicks off at 8.15pm on Tuesday.
- Manchester United fans react to Nemanja Matic’s performance
- Bruno Fernandes sends message to Manchester United fans after win
- Six things we learned as Manchester United beat Brighton 3-2
- Hannibal Mejbri shows quality in under-23 defeat
- Why Manchester United should consider bargain Todibo bid
- Quick deal for Alex Telles would provide ideal chance for United debut next week
- Comparing Manchester United’s reported Sancho plan with offer they wanted
- David de Gea says he is feeling the best he’s ever felt in his career
- Two Premier League managers believe United were the best team they faced last season