Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has offered updates on Jesse Lingard and Mason Greenwood ahead of the EFL Cup quarter-final against Everton.
At his pre-match press conference, he was asked about the England international pair.
Lingard has only been in two Premier League squads all season, and has only two EFL Cup appearances to his name.
Greenwood was on the bench against Leeds, having shone against Sheffield United, but was not brought on.
“Jesse will be in the squad,” said Solskjaer. “He’s been working hard in training. He’s been unfortunate with having to isolate a few times.
“He’s been a close contact with a COVID [positive person], not even having it himself. He’s been very unlucky being away from the training ground a few times.
“He’s been working really hard and he’ll be involved in the squad definitely on Wednesday.
“Mason is fit enough to play, he was on the bench (vs Leeds). It just wasn’t to be for Mason to come on. He will be in the squad (vs Everton) unless something happens next couple of days, yeah.”
Solskjaer opted to bring Dan James in from the cold against Leeds. The Welshman’s pace was effective given the huge spaces the Whites left behind.
Greenwood was the man affected by that, and Solskjaer gave Bruno Fernandes a rare rest while also bringing Edinson Cavani back after injury.
That’s why he didn’t get on and there seems to be no reason why he can’t impact tomorrow night’s game.
Lingard will be hoping to get a rare game. It remains to be seen whether it would be a chance to put himself in the shop window or a chance to prove to Solskjaer he’s worth of a place in the squad.
Perhaps it’s more likely to be the former, but it’ll be interesting to see what Solskjaer does.
- Amad Diallo showed a new side to his game against Real Sociedad
- Predicted Manchester United line-up v Chelsea
- Who is reported United target Gleison Bremer?
- Eric Bailly says Sergio Ramos is his idol
- Solskjaer says Martial is working very hard to improve
- Can Diogo Dalot play against Manchester United in the Europa League?
- 2 positives and 1 negative from Manchester United drawing Milan
- Manchester United fans react to Nemanja Matic’s performance
- Solskjaer praises Shoretire as Whiteside reacts to him breaking his record
- United fans react to Axel Tuanzebe’s performance in midfield